Ford Mustang Mach - E EV European Debut

vrskeith

'.... with a rotary dial fixed onto it using special glue.'

??? 🤓

Must admit, looking at it, I'm not thinking 'Oooh, Mustang'. 

Gaz

• Like 1

The cynic in me thinks it's called a Mustang because they won't be able to charge the asking price if they called it a Ford.

End of the day, they are not able to build it in mass number like the Focus, due to battery supply constraints. So they've decided to make it a Mustang and charge a premium, ensuring less orders. 

If Ford really wanted to charge forward and get rid of their "late joiner" title in the EV world, they need to build mass market EV's that are direct replacement to Focus, Fiasta, direct competition to e-Golf/ID3, e-UP, etc. 

Now the manufacturers are punting out the Light Hybrids and Plug in Hybrids to save on the fines they will incur due to going over the emissions they have to meet by number of vehicles sold.

Ford & VW are getting these out much quicker than any EV's in volume. 

2020 might be a big year for more choice of EV's it is not going to be a big year for them delivered to customers in the UK and First Registered.

• Thanks 1

Tesla Model Y (similar sized SUV) will probably able to achieve similar range with a smaller battery on WLTP. 

Model X, a huge 7 seat SUV, achieves 351 miles on the tougher EPA rating with same battery size. 

But still, I hope Ford can make and sell as many of these Mach-E as their similar priced Mustang's. Have they secured any battery supply in large quantities? 

6 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Tesla Model Y (similar sized SUV) will probably able to achieve similar range with a smaller battery on WLTP. 

Model X, a huge 7 seat SUV, achieves 351 miles on the tougher EPA rating with same battery size. 

But still, I hope Ford can make and sell as many of these Mach-E as their similar priced Mustang's. Have they secured any battery supply in large quantities? 

The Boss of Europe couldn't confirm quantities on battery supply but he did let it slip they are produced in Poland. Must be that cheap European labour they are taking advantage of like Turkish built Transit vans. New Polestar 2 EV looks nice 402bhp, 78kWh battery, 660nm, 292 mile range and £46,400 including the Government Grant. Rather buy one of those over a Tesla Model 3.

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

New Polestar 2 EV looks nice 402bhp, 78kWh battery, 660nm, 292 mile range and £46,400 including the Government Grant. Rather buy one of those over a Tesla Model 3.

One thing is for sure, Polestar overall build quality will be better than Tesla, thanks to years of experience from Volvo. I also recall Volvo autonomous driving is also very good, I was reading about it when XC90 PHEV was first released. Winning awards and better test results than Tesla. 

But for the drivetrain and EV as a personal transport solution, I'd personally rather have Model 3 for similar money to get access to the supercharger network and higher drivetrain efficiency. 

1 hour ago, Ttaskmaster said:

Skimming through articles on this, I keep misreading it as the Ford Mustache.... Which then brings to mind the creepy mustaches of both the known EV drivers in our office!! :D

Perhaps Tom Selleck should do a remake of Magnum PI and drive a Red Ford Mustache EV to keep the Green Party and Greta happy while he solves those crimes like who stole his razor.

Who actually stole the performance of that Mustang Mach-E that Rory was in and what was the 0-30 mph sprint actually like? Maybe we are supposed to go by the look on his face which was like he was holding in a fart as he seems to have forgotten to say what it felt like.

Ford should maybe consider the UK as being like North America when selecting the tyres to be fitted since it is not a performance car and will be used in all seasons in the UK. 

The UK is not Germany and if a UK car goes to Continental Europe in Winter the owner might need to fit appropriate winter tyres anyway.

I supposed the polished & coated concrete is not the best surface for grip with standing start launches and you might expect Traction Control to reign things in if on Summer Tyres.  (Squealing of tyres being rather easy to do in Underground or Multistory car parks...IME)

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Perhaps Tom Selleck should do a remake of Magnum PI and drive a Red Ford Mustache EV to keep the Green Party and Greta happy while he solves those crimes like who stole his razor.

His mustache isn't creepy, though.

It's not simply that these EV-ers have them, it's that they look like... well, I probably can't use the word without upsetting the Mods, but they do each look like one!! :worried:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 05/10/2020 at 08:09, e-Roottoot said:

I  like the rear load cover lifting as it does and the amount of space in the front (frunk).

Yes , on paper it looks like a really good one and well equipped as standard.