I been busy today 1.4 16v induction kit.

I looked for one and there isnt one so i decided to make one the stock airbox/engine cover weighs alot and there are 12 screws to undo to get the filter out.

So i've started making my own induction kit in the first pic the Pipercross cone filter is mounted directly onto the aluminium bend which is mounted to the throttle body.

P1010002-vi.jpg?500375

Its runs fine like this but i intend to mount the filer behind the battery with a cold air feed running to it.

P1010001-vi.jpg?500375

the second pic shows the pipercross filter on the end of the breather pipes.

they are both polished alloy the white plastic is protective cover.

So far this has cost

Nice one. You need one big cold air feed now :thumbup:

I intend to but dont have anything suitable lying around i was going to mock up with the hoover tube but swmbo saw me and shouted at me.

she knows me well enough to know i wasn't going to hoover:D

I intend to but dont have anything suitable lying around i was going to mock up with the hoover tube but swmbo saw me and shouted at me.

she knows me well enough to know i wasn't going to hoover:D

lol!

You could always put a heat shield around the cone as well as moving it a little behind the battery case. See pic.

Check this link out for an idea of what I mean...

http://www.540i6.com/heatshield.html

IIRC there are induction kits available for the 1.4 16v Polo which is exactly the same.

oh well it was fun to do.

It'll keep me out of mischief for at least another weekend too.

I couldnt get over how many screws you have to undo to get at the stock filter

its a pita

Nice!

But what did it bring? Performance' date=' sound? Maybe a recorded sound? ;)[/quote']

It makes an awesome sound i'm not clever enough to record it tho.

I run a K&N panel filter in the stock airbox and even just bolted to the throttle body with no cold air feed the cone filter felt better.

throttle response and acceleration.

its maybe all down to the noise i'll have to take it to dysart when its all done see if it makes any real difference

That looks very nice.. Im thinking about fitting somethin like this to my 1.4 16V.. but did it affect fuel consumption?

BTW dont u think that the fuel consumption is not really good for a 1.4 16V engine?? i calculated mine and its about 29 MPG...

Nice work.

Where did you get the additional Pipercross breather pipe filter?

I'd be interested to see your pics after you do your cold air feed solution.

Cheers

Ian

my pipercross breather came from my old AX GT i never got round to fitting it.

Halfords sells them and there own brand ones and ebay is good for cheaper knock off ones

That looks very nice.. Im thinking about fitting somethin like this to my 1.4 16V.. but did it affect fuel consumption?

BTW dont u think that the fuel consumption is not really good for a 1.4 16V engine?? i calculated mine and its about 29 MPG...

i dont know i havent gone very far with it fitted yet.

29mpg isnt good i get alot more than that

that would be 240 miles out of a tank i get just over 300 combined commuting.

and 360 on the motorway