Driver Wiper

Rydema

Evening all,

So driving home from a long and wet journey (leave the jokes at the door please 😂) and quite literally the wipers went up and only the passenger went down.... and continued to go up and down however the driver one stayed put. I thought it got lodged or something but this wasn't the case. it moves freely so I'm guessing its on a frame system where one goes up they both go up and down.

My question is.... how easy is it to fix and how do I get to it... I would buy a Haynes manual for my car as its an 11 plate 1.2 HTP but i'm currently skint and something tells me I might need to sink money into a wiper frame rather than a manual...... any help would be really grateful!

Easiest way is to attach a long stick so it’s reachable when you stretch your arm out of the window to wipe it. 

realistic solution is it may be a cheap temp fix but I’d advise to get a new linkage ASAP.

if you lift your wipers away from the windscreen, pop the caps off and undo the bolt holding the wiper arm on.

Theres 2 screws either side of the black tray below the windscreen, undo them.

Remove the rubber seal

pull the black tray off and you should see the problem. Usually (common problem) one of the arm linkages detaches itself from the frame and should pop back on but you should get the part number off it and order a replacement for when it happens again - it will happen again.

Edited by LGM

....... I chucked at the first line 😂

21 minutes ago, LGM said:

Easiest way is to attach a long stick so it’s reachable when you stretch your arm out of the window to wipe it. 

realistic solution is it may be a cheap temp fix but I’d advise to get a new linkage ASAP.

if you lift your wipers away from the windscreen, pop the caps off and undo the bolt holding the wiper arm on.

Theres 2 screws either side of the black tray below the windscreen, undo them.

Remove the rubber seal

pull the black tray off and you should see the problem. Usually (common problem) one of the arm linkages detaches itself from the frame and should pop back on but you should get the part number off it and order a replacement for when it happens again - it will happen again.

Any rough est how much that would cost if I do need to replace the link arm? Or would it be better just to replace the whole mech?

• Like 1

It will likely be nothing more than the nut requiring tightening, make sure its in the right position.

1 hour ago, Rydema said:

....... I chucked at the first line 😂

Any rough est how much that would cost if I do need to replace the link arm? Or would it be better just to replace the whole mech?

You’re literally talking like max £10 for the linkage and an hour of your time, it’s not a nut it’s like a bung that sits on a ball it wears out after x amount of time so needs replacing.

Agreed, my comment about the nut was in case the wiper arm had become loose on the spindle.

I have also had the ball & socket joint come apart through wear, as a temporary measure I deformed the metal around it with a mole wrench to remain in position, it ended up being a permanent bodge.

• Like 1

This happens frequently so it might be worth just getting one of the little stainless steel temporary fixing clips, available on ebay, Halfords, etc. A common part and a quick fix that actually last longer then the proper part! The genuine part costs around £4. Clips are usually less unless from Halfords. Then they are about £8 a clip.

(19)
4.1 out of 5 stars. 19 reviews
  • Product Type : Wiper Linkage Repair
  • Size : fits 9.5-14mm ball pin