Don't think I can go back now.

I think I'm now a Skoda convert and.... a DSG convert as well.

I've had various cars but my Mrs has has had Octavias for about 15 years and so has her dad. She got her first VRS in 2014, a bright red petrol powered, manual gearbox beast. It was so good. Like driving the General Lee. After a brief flirt with Kia (don't ask) we both have a diesel VRS with a DSG box. What a different beast. Beautifully different. It just seems to devour up the road with such little fuss, flying past traffic in a very civilised manner. Great car in a different way. 

It's a shame but we'll probably end up back on petrol when we get a mkIV in 2022  but DSG all the way for us now. 

• Like 2

I have a casual job where I drive a lot of other's cars and in terms of good to bad auto gearboxes I have experienced, a DSG has bookmarked both ends.

The 'good' was a brand new VW Golf and its operation was incredibly smooth, quiet and almost prescient in being in the right gear, remarkably it was comparable to the Tesla (gearless) I drove immediately after. Other DSGs have been more than acceptable but there does seem to be quite some variation even between apparently 'identical' vehicles.

The 'bad' was a two year old Audi SQ5 that was jerky, noisy, slow to change, inevitably the wrong gear, near dangerous at junctions and reverse parking a fraught experience.

I still prefer manuals though.

Many years back when I bought a new manual diesel Mk2 Octavia, it was my first diesel and I loved it and swore I would never buy another petrol engine.

Then I drove a 1.4tsi mk3 Octavia and was converted back again to petrol again. Modern turbo petrol engines are very seductive even in small capacities and can be surprisingly efficient too.

The 2014 petrol version we had was glorious. Big happy smiles. But I find the diesel has its benefits too. Cheaper to fuel and the power is more usable, despite being less on paper. It also outpaces most things in a much more serene and undramatic way which I quite like. 

Really intersting (and surprising) regarding the contrast between DSG boxes in different models. Im getting on well with it in both our 2014 and 2018 VRS'S. Big difference in the start/stop though.  14 plate is less sensitive which is great but the 18 plate is better in traffic jams.

I'd have to agree that diesels are fabulous long range tourers. If we decide to do the 'Great Australian Tour' a diesel would be preferable dependant on price and model but I'm not sure it will be a VW group vehicle due to patchy support in remote areas.

In my job I've driven lots of VW, Porsche and Audi (95% auto) but only one Skoda. It has been quite hard for them to get market penetration here despite good reviews and slow but steady growth rates.

I reread what I posted and 'bookmarked at both ends' was my tortuous way of saying 'bookended' 🙄.

I've owned eight DSG models and driven many more. Wet clutch, dry clutch, petrol and diesel.

Some are great, some are OK. Some were reliable and some not.

I think some combinations of engine and DSG work better than others depending on box, engine, vehicle weight and mapping.

But certainly in some larger vehicles convention torque converter autos are still the better choice.

Also the new ford 8 speed transverse box fitted in the focus is certainly better than the old dual clutch box and on par with many DSG installations.

The Ford Focus 1.5 (3 cylinder, turbo, dual injection and ACT) with 8 speed torque converter is sold in Australia and the NEDC consumption figures are not that impressive and reflect similarly in the reviews.

The Karoq arriving here later in the year is replacing the current 1.5tsi and dsg with the old 1.4tsi and the 8 speed torque converter box. 

The 'new' configuration Karoq NEDC figures are similar to the Focus and I think most of the increase can be attributed to the t/c box. We will see when the 'new' model is tested.

Neither Karoq or Focus are available with a manual box. 😞 

Edited by Gerrycan

8 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

The Karoq arriving here later in the year is replacing the current 1.5tsi and dsg with the old 1.4tsi and the 8 speed torque converter box. 

I haven't seen any news about that. Who's box are VAG using?

2 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

That's interesting.

The Aisin 8 speed box is a smooth and reliable gearbox. I'd take that every day of the week over a DQ200 7 speed dry clutch DSG, even if it meant loosing a few mpg.

5 hours ago, logiclee said:

That's interesting.

The Aisin 8 speed box is a smooth and reliable gearbox. I'd take that every day of the week over a DQ200 7 speed dry clutch DSG, even if it meant loosing a few mpg.

The DQ200 has had a potted history for reliability here and some Australian drivers struggle with it because it is so different to the Torque converters they are used to and many have never even driven a manual.

In addition a new base level fwd VW Tiguan is being released here with the 1.4tsi and a 6 speed dsg. I presume is the old 'wet' 6 speed box which has always been considered far more reliable than the dq200.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/819925/2020-volkswagen-tiguan-110tsi-trendline-review/

It will be interesting to see how the local market reacts to the changes.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

The DQ200 has had a potted history for reliability here and some Australian drivers struggle with it because it is so different to the Torque converters they are used to and many have never even driven a manual.

In addition a new base level fwd VW Tiguan is being released here with the 1.4tsi and a 6 speed dsg. I presume is the old 'wet' 6 speed box which has always been considered far more reliable than the dq200.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/819925/2020-volkswagen-tiguan-110tsi-trendline-review/

It will be interesting to see how the local market reacts to the changes.

Not just in Oz. I've had five DQ200's and four have required warranty work. On the last one the repair bill was over £5k 

I've owned two DQ250 (6 speed wet clutch) and they have been faultless over 150k miles. My Father in Law still runs my 10 year old DSG Passat and that box still shifts like new.

Obviously we have never had the small TSi with a DQ250 and infact the DQ250 is no longer sold in the UK. Maybe they still have some production capacity that they need to utilise. 

I'd still prefer the Aisin 8 speed though.

When I ordered a Tiguan 1.4 150 2wd DSG in Aug 2017 it was the wet 6 speed whereas in an equivalent Ateca it had a dry DSG.  I can't comment on the car as after 3 months I still could not even be given a build date so I had to cancel my order.

Strange that otherwise almost identical drivetrains would use very different gearboxes

Was the Tiguan 1.4 DSG 2wd a unicorn car? How many were actually produced before the switch to the 1.5 150?

Edited by Kental

Back in 2014 when Skoda discontinued the 1.4 TSI 132kw / 180 ps DQ200 DSG Mk2 Fabia vRS  in Australia the Tiguan was still available with 1.4TSI Twincharger Engines.  

I have no idea which DSG they had, or when they stopped selling those, or if the ones mentioned in the article linked are those.

Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 13.59.05.png

Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 13.59.28.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

39 minutes ago, Kental said:

When I ordered a Tiguan 1.4 150 2wd DSG in Aug 2017 it was the wet 6 speed whereas in an equivalent Ateca it had a dry DSG.  I can't comment on the car as after 3 months I still could not even be given a build date so I had to cancel my order.

Strange that otherwise almost identical drivetrains would use very different gearboxes

Was the Tiguan 1.4 DSG 2wd a unicorn car? How many were actually produced before the switch to the 1.5 150?

That's a new one on me because the 1.4 Tiguan I test drove had the 7spd DSG box. I was actually wanting a manual but only DSG's were available when for test drives so soon after the new shape was launched.  In an attempt to sell the DSG to me, the salesman specifically mentioned it having an extra gear over the manual meaning it was more fuel efficient. ( typical salesman! ) and it had the advantage of it being "completely maintenence free".

I don't think the 1.4 was ever made available with a 6spd box on the Tiguan. The previous shape Tiguan wasn't available with an auto in 1.4 form, it was only when the latest shape Tiguan came to market the 1.4 DSG was introduced. It's only recently that Tiguan changed over to a wet clutch 7 speed. ( DQ381 ? )  I've only heard rumours that Karoq will be the same - our's is a Nov 2019 build  and that's defo a dry clutch.

Edited by Guest

19 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

That's a new one on me because the 1.4 Tiguan I test drove had the 7spd DSG box. I was actually wanting a manual but only DSG's were available when for test drives so soon after the new shape was launched.  In an attempt to sell the DSG to me, the salesman specifically mentioned it having an extra gear over the manual meaning it was more fuel efficient. ( typical salesman! ) and it had the advantage of it being "completely maintenence free".

I don't think the 1.4 was ever made available with a 6spd box on the Tiguan. The previous shape Tiguan wasn't available with an auto in 1.4 form, it was only when the latest shape Tiguan came to market the 1.4 DSG was introduced. It's only recently that Tiguan changed over to a wet clutch 7 speed. ( DQ381 ? )  I've only heard rumours that Karoq will be the same - our's is a Nov 2019 build  and that's defo a dry clutch.

I thought all original Tig's came with the DQ500 7 Speed wet clutch. The 380/381 were launched later 

5 hours ago, Scot5 said:

The 1.4 150 2wd was available to order around Jul Aug 17 in SEL & R-Line and was DSG only.  The 4x4 was (from memory) manual or DSG on SE Trim.  The 125 engine (again from memory) was S & SE 2wd manual only.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/volkswagen/tiguan/estate-2016/se-l-14-tsi-150ps-act-2wd-dsg-auto-5d/specs/

This is what I ordered.  Shame, it would have been a nice car.

Edited by Kental

6 minutes ago, Kental said:

https://www.parkers.co.uk/volkswagen/tiguan/estate-2016/se-l-14-tsi-150ps-act-2wd-dsg-auto-5d/specs/

Looking at the 2016 and 2017 UK brochures no 6 speed auto was offered on the Tig and the 1.4 was manual only.

December 2015 and early 2016 VW, Audi & SEAT had to withdraw models from sale and even buy back som Euro 6 petrol and diesels and delay delivery of Skoda's.

They were caught with CO2 g/km cheating and had to change the figures on models they did then deliver.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/vw-emissions-scandal-nine-vw-vehicles-have-false-co2-ratings

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

3 hours ago, Kental said:

The 1.4 150 2wd was available to order around Jul Aug 17 in SEL & R-Line and was DSG only.  The 4x4 was (from memory) manual or DSG on SE Trim.  The 125 engine (again from memory) was S & SE 2wd manual only.

3 hours ago, Kental said:

Mine (I assume) would have been an 18my.

TIGUAN PRICE LIST[9555].pdf 3.74 MB · 1 download

That would have been a 7spd DSG dry clutch then. Who told you it was a 6spd wet clutch?

The 2wd 1.4 150bhp engine was available in SE Nav in manual but as I say, most of the garages around my area only had the R-Line to test drive.