Car seats in 3rd row

Hello,

I am a desperate dad with a question and so apologies if this question has already been asked.

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck fitting two car seats using seatbelts in the 3rd row of a Kodiaq?

Thanks for your help

Aurthur 

I found they're not ideal for car seats. You will definitely need to remove the headsets.  I fitted a smaller booster seat but found the depth of them a bit shallow to comfortably hold a bulkier car seat. It seemed to be moving round a bit much for my liking. Width shouldn't be a problem but you need to use your own judgement on how safe they feel.

It is possible to fit them.

There is a hidden release for the headrests, you can then fully remove them, spin them around and reinsert them facing backwards. The third row seats even still fold flat with the headrests in this orientation.

This is the reason NCAP advise against their use, the headrests interfere with the correct fitment of a high-backed booster and Skoda do not communicate how to remove them so it has to be assumed they're fixed.

From another source.

The headrest release button...

FB_IMG_1583657739468.jpg.d27e00cab2db146f62a21c7958b40346.jpg

The headrests rotated...

FB_IMG_1583657732627.thumb.jpg.39bcc14f1922c140d38c1d3c0613572d.jpg

And the seats folded flat...

FB_IMG_1583657745992.thumb.jpg.df0cbac43afad99ab72d2477f24829f3.jpg

Another owners choice of seat...

FB_IMG_1583657752968.thumb.jpg.82f0d33b3e3ab963629674594299119d.jpg

FB_IMG_1583657760666.thumb.jpg.0bef8391f5511700a7ebcd65a8623b0c.jpg

NCAP via Whatcar...

FB_IMG_1583657694398.thumb.jpg.a71d81093cafc8589140451e2f30998a.jpg

Found this guide in the Tiguan all space forum don’t know how relevant it is..but they’ve disabled the hidden catch so the headrests can be quickly released using the one catch on the post that’s visible same as most others.

https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6208&start=50

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

It is possible to fit them.

There is a hidden release for the headrests, you can then fully remove them, spin them around and reinsert them facing backwards. The third row seats even still fold flat with the headrests in this orientation.

This is the reason NCAP advise against their use, the headrests interfere with the correct fitment of a high-backed booster and Skoda do not communicate how to remove them so it has to be assumed they're fixed.

Where does NCAP say it is the headrests that’s cause the issue(s)? In their official report they state only:

”no Universal restraints should be used in the optional third row seats.“

There are many issues that can occur when trying to fit child seats in a car. Taking advice on whether a fitment is safe from unqualified people on the Internet is dangerous. If you are not sure how to check for issues such as buckle crunch, you should get advice from someone who is qualified to give it - some child seat retailers can do this for free, and check your existing seats. I have no affiliation other than receiving training from them in the past, but these people are particularly good: https://incarsafetycentre.co.uk/contact

11 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

Where does NCAP say it is the headrests that’s cause the issue(s)? In their official report they state only:

There are many issues that can occur when trying to fit child seats in a car. Taking advice on whether a fitment is safe from unqualified people on the Internet is dangerous. If you are not sure how to check for issues such as buckle crunch, you should get advice from someone who is qualified to give it - some child seat retailers can do this for free, and check your existing seats. I have no affiliation other than receiving training from them in the past, but these people are particularly good: https://incarsafetycentre.co.uk/contact

I didn't realise they said not to put car seats back there at all. With headrests removed I was happy with the high back booster similar to the post above pic, but would definitely have not put my toddlers seat there.

3 hours ago, MrTrilby said:

It doesn't, but the explanation provided elsewhere sounds plausible and logical to me, but it didn't come from NCAP.

Skoda themselves promote the third row seats as being suitable for securing child seats...

image.thumb.png.35ce5906a4968f09fc1b2c1fe0a53c5c.png

image.thumb.png.1421d503d3e71f6af13860368c491071.png

The test procedure Skoda adhere to...

ECE-R 16

https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/d13b01c3-4962-478b-a710-215ee6dae2cb/language-en

6 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

It doesn't, but the explanation provided elsewhere sounds plausible and logical to me, but it didn't come from NCAP.

Skoda themselves promote the third row seats as being suitable for securing child seats...

So it is wrong for you to claim that the reason that NCAP said “universal seats should not be used in the optional third row seats”. They’re quite explicit in their advice, and they’re experts who actually tested it. I know that a great many of your posts are genuinely helpful, and you mean well, but please recognise that handing out child seat fitment advice on the basis of what seems logical or plausible is not helpful, it’s just dangerous.

Skoda themselves explicitly state that the third row seats are not suitable for group 0 - 1 child seats. Whilst Skoda states that the third row meet the minimum legislative requirements for fitting booster seats, NCAP have a higher bar and suggest otherwise. 

It is worth bearing in mind that child seat descriptions are misleading and “logical and plausible” frequently does not apply. Despite being described as “universal”, such child seats do not fit all cars. Not all isofix childseats fit all isofix positions in all cars. If you’re at all in doubt, get someone qualified to check, or phone the manufacturers of the child seat. The reputable companies are very good at providing decent advice on the suitability of their seats for your car.

I spent some time being paid to check child seats in cars. You would be amazed at the number of seats that weren’t fitted correctly and would not provide protection in a crash. You would be even more amazed at the number of MPV and SUV style cars that are marketed towards young families that are actually really restrictive over which child seats can be safely fitted to them.

I plan on going on a family holiday at the end of this month which will require my 4 year old to go in the 3rd row in her high back booster seat. The booster isnt secured by isofix or the seatbelt then separate harnesses on the booster, shes big enough now just to wear the seatbelt herself while sat on the booster so I presume the 3rd row shouldn't be an issue (just need to rotate the headrest as described above)

3 hours ago, MrTrilby said:

So it is wrong for you to claim that the reason that NCAP said “universal seats should not be used in the optional third row seats”.

Whoa, hang on there, I said nothing of the sort.

The OP asked if it was possible to fit child seats to the third row seats of a Kodiaq.

It is, and I said it was.

It was me who posted the claim from NCAP that explicitly details their advice not to, and my thoughts as to why.

Skoda's advice differs, they openly advocate the use of child seats in the third row, and I offered their opinion too. I also showed which weights and seats were to be used to be absolutely clear.

You said yourself that information on the internet has to be taken with a pinch of salt, that includes yours too. I've backed up my posts with evidence from both Skoda and NCAP and from the personal experience of another Kodiaq owner, which I also made clear.

So, please do not call me out as offering dangerous information, when it plainly isn't.

I have put a group 2-3 in the third row of mine but I wouldn't say it was perfect. I had to do this as my older kids cannot fit in the back of the kodiaq unless the middle row is push far forward.

I would also say the VW Tiguan I had for a month was even worse!

What is strange is that I have a VW Touran that appears to be almost the same inside yet is so easy for all 5 rear seats. It does help all 5 are isofix and that the rear seat base also rises up, and the middle row seats move much better for access.

I Kodiaq is my emergency 7 seater whilst the Touran is the one I use when I don't want endless moaning!

Thank you all for your kind and informative posts.

I appreciate your advice and I am no moron to blindly fit a car seat without looking at the available evidence.

I am going to look into removing a headrest and fitting a 2/3 booster seat.

Thanks again

Arthur

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Whoa, hang on there, I said nothing of the sort.

12 hours ago, silver1011 said:

‘You also posted a screenshot that says explicitly that NCAP say the 3rd row seats cannot be used for seatbelt secured seats. If you do not know the reason NCAP advise against their fitment, it is wrong for you to make guesses or assume “they’re fixed”. As I tried to point out to you, there are multiple reasons why a particular seat might not fit safely in a position in a car, that go beyond simply whether the seat physically fits in place. It is better to admit that you don’t know if their fitment is safe than to continue to provide advice based on guesses and assumption. My suggestion was simply to ask someone who knows what they’re talking about to provide accurate and informed safety advice, rather than put the safety of their children in the hands of the lovely well meaning bloke off the Internet who made an assumption. You are correct to suggest my advice should also be ignored - I cannot, have not and will not suggest if a seat is safe over the Internet. I will and did suggest some reputable people who can provide that advice though. It’s free, and it’s always worth checking.

Please don’t get me wrong and take this personally. I think it’s brilliant how helpful you are on this forum in dishing out help and advice. However, suggestions over the best type of oil to use, or a safe mileage to get a car serviced at is one thing. Get that opinion wrong and no one dies. 

And finally, since we’re talking about car seats. To anyone considering buying a child seat, take a moment to google “rear facing for longer”. It’s safer keeping children facing backwards for as long as possible if you can, but I’m almost certain that you won’t find any rear facing child seats that will fit in the Kodiaq’s 3rd row.

For fear of going around in circles, I answered the OP's question with a mix of my opinions and supporting evidence. Where they were my opinions I made this clear and offered my reasoning.

Don't forget, it was me who pointed out that NCAP do not recommend fitting them to the third row.

I then offered my reasons for why I believed they arrived at their decision. This is an online forum. Briskoda is full of opinion, it's how it works.

But, I also offered up an alternative point of view, Skoda's, who, as I've pointed out permit their use and support my recommendation. I even went to the effort of sharing their recommendations as there are exemptions.

What I am disputing here is your accusation that I am offering out "dangerous" advice.

As you'll know from your time checking out child seats there are many different reasons why one situation could be more or less safe than another. Ultimately it is the person responsible for the child that bears the responsibility.

Fitting child seats in the third row of a Kodiaq is not dangerous, nor is ignoring NCAP's recommendation on this scenario either, and this is where we may have to agree to disagree. Without knowing NCAP's reason for suggesting they shouldn't be fitted, I would be inclined to follow Skoda's advice that they can be fitted, providing their guidance is followed and the seats are fitted correctly.

• Like 1

I would not routinely put very small children in the third row. The third row is behind the axle and therefore in a very weak area of the car in case of rear impact. The axle provides a huge protection for the second row.

As mentioned before , I assume the Touran's rear axle is further back and therefore allows third row ISOfix points.

Edited by TonyTonic

The Audi Q7 is one of the few 7-seater SUV's I am aware of that has ISOFIX in the third row, but then the seats appear to be slightly more substantial than those in the Kodiaq...

Image result for audi q7 isofix

3 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

he Audi Q7 is one of the few 7-seater SUV's I am aware of that has ISOFIX in the third row, but then the seats appear to be slightly more substantial than those in the Kodiaq...

Slightly more substantial is the price of course

Edited by TonyTonic
  • Haha 2

Why o why does the Kodiaq owners manual show you how to remove the 3rd row sear headrest.

Ive just followed this how to from the Tiguan forum and it o so simple when you know how. I also followed the guide posted above to disable the secondary lock, so I just need to push the locking clip on one side now to remove the headrests.

C63E18B9-37DE-4083-A27E-DB340BC64756.jpeg

852C93AB-15CC-4FFA-9D87-4CC243D4D306.jpeg

8 hours ago, Kenny R said:

Why o why does the Kodiaq owners manual show you how to remove the 3rd row sear headrest.

Is the word 'not' missing from your post?

I don't think Skoda want you to remove the headrests, they are integral to the safety of passengers, and probably for the limited child seats they approve for use in the third row the headrests don't need removing to allow them to fit.

Oops yes missed the not. 
I’m not removing headrests just turning them round when I occasionally fit booster seats in the 3rd row.

Strange that VW show you how to operate the hidden catch with a credit card and Skoda don’t.

• Like 1

Skoda UK have their fair amount of weaknesses, their commercial material, particularly their owners manuals, have always left a lot to be desired!

Thank goodness for Briskoda!

Edited by silver1011