2017 Octavia 1.4 SE Sport DSG opinions please?

My lease Leon goes back in 2 weeks time, and I've found a car locally as a potential replacement. 

As per the title, it's a 2017 Octavia 1.4 SE Sport DSG 150 estate on just under 60k with a full service history. Is there anything in particular to look out for on this model? Cheers. 

Edited by broona

Look at the Full History.

What was done at the services. 

Was the pollen filter changed in 2019?

Was the Spark Plugs and Air Filter changed at 40,000 miles?

Has the Brake Fluid been changed already or is it due now to be changed?

Are all the tyres good. Is the Windscreen OK, not too chipped?

• Thanks 1

Is the interior in good shape? Not too many scratches, carpets and boot area nice. The interior of car is a good sign too of how it’s been looked after. 

• Thanks 1

2 Michelin, a Bridgestone & a Continental tyre.  Look closely at them and see if all with enough tread, and which will you need to replace if any need doing.

I will show you an example of a car with a AA Warranty.  

Not worth a damn really....

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/478478-sf63-gvp-blue-fabia-vrs-potential-buyers-beware

I traded in a Mk2 Fabia vRS and it was on the sellers Website for sale as RAC Checked and with a Warranty & Roadside Assistance before they even had seen the car.

I assume the person that bought it got warranty work done as it is still on the road. That would not have been cheap work though.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

1 hour ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

2 Michelin, a Bridgestone & a Continental tyre.  Look closely at them and see if all with enough tread, and which will you need to replace if any need doing.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/478478-sf63-gvp-blue-fabia-vrs-potential-buyers-beware

I traded in a Mk2 Fabia vRS and it was on the sellers Website for sale as RAC Checked and with a Warranty & Roadside Assistance before they even had seen the car.

I assume the person that bought it got warranty work done as it is still on the road. That would not have been cheap work though.

Thanks for the reply, I've got a £12k budget, so if it does need a couple of minor bits, tyres included, I should be OK, plus it seems a little under priced compared to similar cars. 

Strangely enough, I looked at a 2014 Fabia VRS estate, but was put off by horror stories surrounding the twin charge engine.

I'm lead to believe that most aftermarket warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on, the perils of the second hand market unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Car doesn't come with an AA warranty, it's only an option.

Concerns: The most obvious concern would be the DSG as that particular model doesn't have a great reliability record - depends what sort of life it's led. Perhaps it's just the camera but the offside rear seat - is that material worn in places? Isoxfix covers are all missing. There's signs the boot has been well used too and there's a piece of trim missing.

The alloys all look good - too good infact. Would appear someone has had them off the car because they're spotless on the inside. Refurbished? They certainly don't square with the state of the brake calipers. If you look at other Octavias with this size of engine and mileage, the calipers aren't nearly as rusty as those.

The battery cover is missing. Battery looks quite big therefore wonder if it's been replaced at sometime with non OEM.  I'd be asking myself where the car had been serviced. The car might just be out of warranty therefore I'd have thought it would have been serviced at main dealer.

Back to the DSG - All depends how it's been treated of course. High mileage would suggest the car has lived on the motorway which should be of little worry, but there are few tell tale signs the car may have lived a harder life than that.

Edit: With that sort of mileage, you may be looking at a cambelt / waterpump change in the not too distant future.

Edited by Guest

29 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Car doesn't come with an AA warranty, it's only an option.

Concerns: The most obvious concern would be the DSG as that particular model doesn't have a great reliability record - depends what sort of life it's led. Perhaps it's just the camera but the offside rear seat - is that material worn in places? Isoxfix covers are all missing. There's signs the boot has been well used too and there's a piece of trim missing.

The alloys all look good - too good infact. Would appear someone has had them off the car because they're spotless on the inside. Refurbished? They certainly don't square with the state of the brake calipers. If you look at other Octavias with this size of engine and mileage, the calipers aren't nearly as rusty as those.

The battery cover is missing. Battery looks quite big therefore wonder if it's been replaced at sometime with non OEM.  I'd be asking myself where the car had been serviced. The car might just be out of warranty therefore I'd have thought it would have been serviced at main dealer.

Back to the DSG - All depends how it's been treated of course. High mileage would suggest the car has lived on the motorway which should be of little worry, but there are few tell tale signs the car may have lived a harder life than that.

Edit: With that sort of mileage, you may be looking at a cambelt / waterpump change in the not too distant future.

Thank you. I'm not sure if the seats are marked, or it's a trick of the camera? 

We'll be giving it a good once over, my father in law is a time served mechanic, so he's got a good eye for when something's wrong, he's got me to walk away from a couple of cars. 

Is the DSG a sealed unit? Anything specific to look out for? 

As for the wheels, is refurbishment a bad thing? 

Do you know the timing belt intervals? Thought it was 5yrs on that engine? 

The reason the alloys look so good is that the car has only ever seen the roadside £5 hand car washes. The rusty front brake calipers are a sure sign of the overly acidic TFR they use.

As mentioned the three different brands of tyres is a shame, but at least they're all branded, rather than cheap Chinese ditch finders.

Someone has removed the locking wheel nuts too, and replaced them with a regular wheel bolt. A lot of the bolts need the protective plastic caps replacing too.

The 1.4 TSI engine is great, even more so one that's been on fixed service intervals. Be sure to get a look at the number of services, when they were done, at what mileage and what was replaced. It's before all the WLTP rubbish too, so unlike the later 1.5 TSI it isn't being strangled by tough emissions regulations.

It's the Sport too, so gets the xenon headlights and LED rear lights, sports seats and the flat bottomed steering wheel. With the Race Blue paint it sets it apart just enough from regular Octavia's.

The interior looks a bit grubby though, hopefully just the photos.

No heated seats though, so I'm out 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

The reason the alloys look so good is that the car has only ever seen the roadside £5 hand car washes. The rusty front brake calipers are a sure sign of the overly acidic TFR they use.

As mentioned the three different brands of tyres is a shame, but at least they're all branded, rather than cheap Chinese ditch finders.

Someone has removed the locking wheel nuts too, and replaced them with a regular wheel bolt. A lot of the bolts need the protective plastic caps replacing too.

The 1.4 TSI engine is great, even more so one that's been on fixed service intervals. Be sure to get a look at the number of services, when they were done, at what mileage and what was replaced. It's before all the WLTP rubbish too, so unlike the later 1.5 TSI it isn't being strangled by tough emissions regulations.

It's the Sport too, so gets the xenon headlights and LED rear lights, sports seats and the flat bottomed steering wheel. With the Race Blue paint it sets it apart just enough from regular Octavia's.

The interior looks a bit grubby though, hopefully just the photos.

No heated seats though, so I'm out 😀

I really wanted something with heated seats and a heated front screen, but a decent automatic petrol estate is hard enough to find in the first place! 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broona said:

Thank you. I'm not sure if the seats are marked, or it's a trick of the camera? 

We'll be giving it a good once over, my father in law is a time served mechanic, so he's got a good eye for when something's wrong, he's got me to walk away from a couple of cars. 

Is the DSG a sealed unit? Anything specific to look out for? 

As for the wheels, is refurbishment a bad thing? 

Do you know the timing belt intervals? Thought it was 5yrs on that engine? 

Having a mechanic you know and trust is a massive bonus.

Is wheel refurbishment a bad thing?  Not in itself, BUT if all four wheels have been refurbished that's yet another sign of a car having lived a hard life.

When it comes to timing belt intervals - how long is a piece of string? Here in the UK it's 5yr or "x" miles, whatever comes first. There's much debate on what distance x miles is as there's no official figure that I've seen published. Most franchised garages will give the mileage "as stated in your service schedule". But you don't have a service schedule.

The figure usually starts from 60,000 miles upwards. ( I've even seen one VAG dealer refer to the mileage as anywhere between 40,000 and 60,000  -  only one dealer mind you ). Best to contact Skoda themselves and give them your reg etc.  Your mechanic friend should be able to tell you the belt's condition.