EFB to AGM again!

andyspan

Hi,

I have raised a query before similar to this but it was a while ago.

The time has come to to change the battery on my Yeti L&K 1.4. (stop/start).

As I don't use the car a great deal I think the way forward is to replace the EFB battery with an AGM one.

Now, I know the electrics will have to be re-coded to accept the new and different type of battery.

My question is, would it be okay to change the battery myself and take it to be re-coded as soon as I can or would this cause damage to the system?

It's just that it would be easier to do it this way as long as I don't muck something up!

Many Thanks 

2 hours ago, andyspan said:

As I don't use the car a great deal I think the way forward is to replace the EFB battery with an AGM one.

I think a more sensible way forward is to get a decent battery charger/maintainer and use it regularly. Ive seen an  EFB battery (Yuasa) on a Toyota stood unused in a garage for over 12 months and sitting at <1.00 (one) volts. Charged for 48 hours, and it starts first time. Battery subsequently ok, remarkable...

Edited by xman

Yes, I do have a smart charger but I think the battery is suspect. I can have it on charge for days and it still doesn't have enough capacity for the stop/start to work. I bought the car when it was 8 months old as an ex Skoda management vehicle and reckon it was probably stood around for a bit and probably did a bit of harm to the battery. So I really think a new battery is the way forward. It's just the original query about the coding issue.

Thanks for your reply 🙂

@andyspan up to you bud......... but reading xman's post above and with a post I read the other day, iirc the stop start feature may take a few days of driving to sort itself out and start working properly again after being allowed to go low on charge and then require externally charging..........

How old is the car / battery???????

Yes mate, the car is 4.5 years old and the battery has been a bit suspect ever since we bought the car as I think it may have been unused for a few months. I have it on smart charge regularly, sometimes for up to a week!
It is then okay for a day or so and then I get the dreaded warning that the infotainment is switching off due to low battery. The alternator is charging perfectly. So, the question is about the re-coding issue which I reckon is the way I have to go. Thanks again

On 29/03/2020 at 15:07, andyspan said:

My question is, would it be okay to change the battery myself and take it to be re-coded as soon as I can or would this cause damage to the system?

if you get a replacement battery with the same Ah and CCA rating you don't even need to recode,

but as I suspect you'll get a replacement battery with a slightly higher Ah and CCA than the OEM battery, then a delay in having it recoded to the new battery's spec will do no harm at all, it simply means that the system will have the alternator supply slightly less voltage than is required to charge the battery up to 100%  - and in "real life" very rarely is any battery 100% anyway.

1 hour ago, Halford said:

if you get a replacement battery with the same Ah and CCA rating you don't even need to recode,

but as I suspect you'll get a replacement battery with a slightly higher Ah and CCA than the OEM battery, then a delay in having it recoded to the new battery's spec will do no harm at all, it simply means that the system will have the alternator supply slightly less voltage than is required to charge the battery up to 100%  - and in "real life" very rarely is any battery 100% anyway.

Hi Mate,

Thank you very much for the reply,

I hoped it would be okay to do that as to get someone to supply and fit battery is silly money!

Just wanted the reassurance that it would be okay in the short term.

Thanks again 🙂