Fabia VRS mk1 Sub 2k german motorway muncher

Hi All, 

great forum full of invaluable knowledge! 

Due to budget airlines currently not operating, I found myself having to do a 900 mile trip across Europe to Czech republic possibly every 2 weeks until our house here is sold. Car will be used here for 30min journey to work on lovely twisty b roads plus the long trips home. Budget is tight but at the same time don't want to end up on a hard shoulder too many times. I have found lovely unmolested Fabia VRS mk1 for around 2k with VOSA guaranteed 100k on the clock. Not bothered about too much of comfort, I have a good phone nav and external speaker, what I need is something reasonably economical that will be happy to sit on the autobahn at 100 mph for few hours and not be a total pig on my commute to work here in UK. I have driven one couple of times years ago and remember having a total blast. Does this make sense for what I need? Many thanks!

Yes it does, but at 100k if the turbo hasn't been replaced then you should consider doing so rather than risk the hard shoulder hardship.

A new CHRA cartridge is a cheap way to increase reliability dramatically.

• Thanks 1

Guest BigJase88

You may have to increase your budget to around 3k for a 100k mile example.

i wouldn’t be too worried about the turbo as long has good service history then it will be grand. My old boy has a 2.0 tdi on 180k miles on original turbo / clutch / flywheel

Thanks both.

Thats why I thought 2k for 2007 with 107k on the clock is a decent deal. I was planning to do the the cambelt and turbo regardless for peace of mind. What's the damage for doing both, 500£ ish? Many thanks

14 minutes ago, Pete23 said:

Thanks both.

Thats why I thought 2k for 2007 with 107k on the clock is a decent deal. I was planning to do the the cambelt and turbo regardless for peace of mind. What's the damage for doing both, 500£ ish? Many thanks

Sounds about right, perhaps a bit more.

• Thanks 1

It used to be possible to buy a retrofit kit for roughly £80, and then fit it yourself. 

Someone with VCDS, could then enable the cruise control for beer tokens

Edit, kit is £105 on ebay, item number 370782615594

Edited by Bogwoppit
  • Thanks 1

On 03/05/2020 at 11:13, Pete23 said:

Hi All, 

great forum full of invaluable knowledge! 

Due to budget airlines currently not operating, I found myself having to do a 900 mile trip across Europe to Czech republic possibly every 2 weeks until our house here is sold. Car will be used here for 30min journey to work on lovely twisty b roads plus the long trips home. Budget is tight but at the same time don't want to end up on a hard shoulder too many times. I have found lovely unmolested Fabia VRS mk1 for around 2k with VOSA guaranteed 100k on the clock. Not bothered about too much of comfort, I have a good phone nav and external speaker, what I need is something reasonably economical that will be happy to sit on the autobahn at 100 mph for few hours and not be a total pig on my commute to work here in UK. I have driven one couple of times years ago and remember having a total blast. Does this make sense for what I need? Many thanks!

I have my 2nd MK1 VRS, which blew a turbo and replaced with a PD150 fitted as the car is remapped ( has 160k miles), could have had a refurbed PD130 which should be fine as a replacement for the unmolested you have found,  Try and find out if there is history with it, check when water-pump and belts were done ( should be 80 k / 5 years), As long as it has been serviced regularly, engine is bulletproof.  Check carpets are not damp / wet otherwise it has the dreaded leak  and replacement of ALL door seals  seems to be the best fix as it can be virtually impossible to track down where it is.  Plod at 130 kph on European motorways and you can get 48 - 50 mpg, rack it up to 160 kph and you may be lucky to see 45 mpg. 
If you want decent handling on the B roads either strut brace front and rear, or invest in a decent suspension that lowers car 20 - 30mm, beware with suspension you get what you pay for ( I have Bilstien Sport S2 which are not cheap but excellent).
The stock head unit with speakers is not good, replace it with a know brand unit,  even the Sony single. DIN actually show how pretty decent the speakers are, I have a Pioneer Android Unit with stock speakers and sound is pretty good.

Edited by lfc958
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to all for the knowledge!

So within few "test" days, the intercooler turbo pipe popped, so she went into garage. I have asked them to check her over while shes there. They have done the pipe and track rod end, advised the front discs would do with a change after summer (she breaks ok though and not much wobble, unless I go very hard from high speeds).

I wanted to ask- as she is still a bit rough (loud ish popping noise occasionally  during hard breaking /acceleration,( possibly ball joint?) and gentle incoming humming noise that increases at around 60kph (either a bearing or really ****ty cheap tires) she inevitably will go back to the garage soon.

So rather than going back and forth, I'd like to change some bits that usually need changing after 100k of granddad use on rough roads (key ring literally had "best grand dad ever" tag on it.

She had a good regular Skoda service, but I suspect that apart of the belt and pump at the correct mileage, this was more about filters and oil rather than anything else.

I will look into the suspension (medium price range and not too low?) Is there anything else I should look at, stuff that wears regardless of heavy/light use that makes sense to replace now?

Many thanks!

I would say that your console bushes will definitely need replacing as a top priority and it sounds like a wheel bearing is also on the way out, other than that deal with issues as they arise rather than try and head them off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1