Engine management warning light

After the car being sat on the drive for ages I've made a few 80 mile trips on the odd day in the week (total of 5 days in last 5 weeks) Yesterday I get in the car and the engine management warning light does not go out after starting.  

Must say too the car appeared to take some starting too - (battery?)

So,  I think, solid amber light drive carefully.  I've heard of soot buildup and think I may be able to burn off deposits?  Ran it for about 3 miles and decided to call the AA.  A tech gets back to me from the AA and advises just what I thouight.  He says so long as it runs OK, the light stays solid amber, does not start blinking OR turn to red then see how it goes.  He also said you will probably find it will go out when you start the car back up after that.  The car seems to run fine - no juddering/loss of power - all seems fine.

I run it down the M1 at 2,000rpm for 70 miles.  reaches my destination - turns off the engine, back on .. its still on!!  Finished my work (key worker btw)  and makes my way back home.  this time I run the car at 3,000rpm.  got home, no change.. the lights still on.

Since the garages are all shut due to covid-19 I can't take it in.  will it need to be connected to a PC to clear this light?  Its due a service in 2,400 miles.  

Will I be OK to still drive with it like this?

If I disconnect the battery for a few minuites will this clear the code?

1968 cc

115 g/km

DIESEL

Thanks, in anticipation

Dave

Which light do you mean, the EML (Engine Management Light) looks like this...

image.png.4b5de049ee513fc399c9e0088a44122b.png

Skoda call it the Emission Control System light which is confusing as it actually covers much more than that, almost all faults will activate the EML.

The AA's advice to take the car for a run to burn off soot deposits is fundamentally flawed, surprising given their reputed knowledge.

If the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is blocked and requires your help to regenerate it (burn off the collected soot), then you'll get a dedicated DPF light...

image.png.f17324cb12087fd234d2da0f14b26c9f.png

A low battery can often trigger some strange and seemingly unconnected faults, but after a good run and recharge they normally clear.

You really need to get the car scanned for fault codes. Hopefully Sunday's announcement will include a relaxation for garages.

If it's a 2017 model, when was it registered / does the manufacturers warranty finish? You may well have a few months left? If so ring Skoda Assist and they'll come to your house for free which could save you waiting for the local dealer to open. They might not be able to repair the fault but at least you'll know what it is...

Edited by silver1011

Thanks ... its a 67 plate registered Nov 2017 but it went out of warranty nov. 2019 which is annoying.

It does say my key fob battery needs changing but that can't be the fault.  its been saying that for a while now.

After I had had it for just a year I had the same light come on, went to a dealership and they wanted to book me in ... with days to wait even though it was under warranty.  I pressed the breakdown button, got them out to c heck it and it was  faulty valve in the exhaust system ... (not the EGR valve).  They changed it under warranty.  Surely it can't be that again???

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a cable and software and the fault was .. exactly..

Stored DTC(S)

P0684 - Glow Plug Control Module to PCM Commmunication Circuit Range/Performance

I found a great webiste here ... https://www.obd-codes.com/p0684 which pretty much covered everything ... apart from where all the respective componants live??

Anyway ... I reset the code but it has since returned.   It's got a its service due in a few months and so I'd really like to sort this myself before then.

Could someone help with the locations of the GPCM, PCM and the solenoid.  Also,  If the fault was with a glow plug wouldn't I get additional codes indicating which one(s) had failed?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have run into the same problem in my 2018 superb sportline 190 TDI, emission light came by and still there after 1500 km drive over the weekend, no dip in performance noticed but I didn’t really push it. Getting it to dealer later this week, hope sale warranty will cover whatever it is.