Fabia 1.6 tdi coolant loss

Hi there over the last month or so I am having a problem with loss of coolant, every week or so the coolant seems to go below the min level. Car is used on motorway 60 miles a day for 4 days then after that local journey's, rarely give it any abuse. Which parts should I check out as can not find any puddles on floor.

Would appreciate any help, thanks.

55 minutes ago, AMD87 said:

Water pump

What make you say that buddy wouldn't it be leaking a lot more as most of the week coolant is fine but sometimes drops a few inches, also wouldn't leak be obvious like few drops of coolant on floor. Thanks for the reply.

14 minutes ago, Shubz786 said:

What make you say that buddy wouldn't it be leaking a lot more as most of the week coolant is fine but sometimes drops a few inches, also wouldn't leak be obvious like few drops of coolant on floor. Thanks for the reply.

It’s common on these 

1 minute ago, AMD87 said:

It’s common on these 

Yh have seen a few posts about it but sometimes people change the water pump and still have leak, by the way forgot to mention when engine is totally cold and I open coolant cap I can hear the pressure release is this normal?

i had the same issue. Water pump. I had no puddle, however there was water/coolant residue spashed around the pump. Keep in mind coolant solidifies when it comes out from cracks and crannies. Also mine only leaked when was driven as the pressure was bulding up. Towards the end the pump gave up and gashed water on the road. I had to drive with a bottle of waste in the boot until i reached the garage.

are there bubbles in the coolant reservoir? If not then the hissing is normal. One thing you can purchase from ebay is one of these testers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Combustion-Leak-Tester-Kit-Head-Gasket-Block-30ml-Fluid-15-tests-Petrol-Diesel-/123735248113

1 hour ago, Bertie90 said:

i had the same issue. Water pump. I had no puddle, however there was water/coolant residue spashed around the pump. Keep in mind coolant solidifies when it comes out from cracks and crannies. Also mine only leaked when was driven as the pressure was bulding up. Towards the end the pump gave up and gashed water on the road. I had to drive with a bottle of waste in the boot until i reached the garage.

are there bubbles in the coolant reservoir? If not then the hissing is normal. One thing you can purchase from ebay is one of these testers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Combustion-Leak-Tester-Kit-Head-Gasket-Block-30ml-Fluid-15-tests-Petrol-Diesel-/123735248113

Hi there not sure if mine is loosing coolant whilst driving or whilst parked, I don't remember seeing any bubbles in bottle . I'll have to get water pump looked at by the sound of it . 

Just checked coolant whilst on break it did drop a bit was above min tho it's only did 30 miles since last checked , what timing belt lot and water pump do you recommend ( heard there are some brands to avoid ).

It sounds very likely. I don't know what brand my garage uses. I do remember they asked me for OEM around £440 or aftermarket at around £370.  I went OEM. 

13 minutes ago, Bertie90 said:

It sounds very likely. I don't know what brand my garage uses. I do remember they asked me for OEM around £440 or aftermarket at around £370.  I went OEM. 

Bit pricey for just parts alone would have expected to pay around 200, might just do an order of euro car parts and choose best brand they stock.

I have the same problem. I have to top up every 400 to 800 miles.  

I spent an hour investigating and my diagnosis is that it is the water pump from what I can see.

I am on 97k miles and am having the cam belt and water pump done at 100k. 

The same happened on my wife’s Fabia Mk2 at 65k miles. 

Best

asketi

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Asketi said:

I have the same problem. I have to top up every 400 to 800 miles.  

I spent an hour investigating and my diagnosis is that it is the water pump from what I can see.

I am on 97k miles and am having the cam belt and water pump done at 100k. 

The same happened on my wife’s Fabia Mk2 at 65k miles. 

Best

asketi

Hi mate yeah seems common issue on these funnily enough I knew it was going to happen eventually, just going to test for leaks using some dye and uv light before I change water pump to make sure it's not leaking elsewhere. I've also had the secondary water pump changed not long ago as it failed didn't seem to affect running of the car just had engine management on , was a very easy job to do as you can access it from underneath the vehicle.