Superb III Power Tailgate not operating

I have had my 2016 Skoda Superb L&K for just over 6 months.  Last week, after the tailgate was opened it would not power close and had to be shut manually.  Since then the power operation to open and close has not functioned correctly.  I have taken a look today and nothing looks amiss and I noted that:

Opening.  When using the key fob, internal tailgate button or external tailgate button: the lid unlocks and either opens about 2 inches or 18 inches.  It then stops and 3 beeps can be heard.

Closing.  After manually opening the tailgate; if I press the the key fob or button under the tailgate then nothing moves and 3 beeps can be heard.  The tailgate can be manually closed and on closing it locks.

Looking for some advice on whether this can be reset, repaired or whether the electric struts need to be replaced in which case having read other threads I might replace with normal 'struts'

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sail-Fish,

This happened to my 2016 Superb estate, turned out that it required a nw sensor & both tailgate struts, fortunately it was still within warranty at the time.

If you don't have a warranty of any sort, its an expensive repair!

Edited by GeorgeB
Typo error

• 1 year later...

Mine went last March and I've left it as it is for now. Genuine struts are £750 a pair, with dealer fitting and coding you are looking  at £1,000. Copies are £250 a pair on ebay.

• Like 1

Ouch.

I only just signed up for a service, warranty, breakdown and MOT package last week.

Hopefully it will be covered but I won't hold my breath.

It's booked in for next month.

Thanks for the heads up.

All in service plan

Edited by Ronskin
  • Like 1

Not sure if it helps in this scenario. My car was only delivered October 2021 and occasionally exhibits the behaviour you've mentioned, though mostly on the opening cycle.

When it sticks, another jab of the button does get it to open fully without issue. 

Edited by Patent
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

To my surprise I got both tailgate struts replaced under the "All in Service Plan" warranty and a 50k service without having to pay anything at Trans City Skoda, Walthamstow.

The current offer worth it and they now have a spring sale on so it costs only £25.50 per month.

Edited by Ronskin
  • Like 3