Wonky right hand bixenon headlight?

The right hand bixenon headlight on my 2015 Scout does to return to centre after turning right at low speeds - up to ~60 KPH.  Once on the highway it seems to sort itself out and works normally.  When I turn right into my carport after driving up my long riveway the light is offset to the right.  Once I stop moving it comes back to centre again.  So it is about control not mechanical.  The lights do their normal dance at startup and finish with the correct alignment.

Does anyone else have this issue?

does anyone know the solution?

Trevor

Mirboo

Australia

I've noticed that when I come to a stop my right hand (off side) light also comes back to the centre after pointing slightly to the right.  I presume this is normal since they are adapting a pattern for those conditions (city).

Can you test by disabling the AFS to see if they just point right ahead?

For me I presume this is normal behaviour since they have done this since I've had the car and I have no errors being flagged.

• Like 1

Thanks Plantman. 

I did think that in LHD countries this might be desirable behaviour.  Lighting the nearside road edge at low speeds. 

Must check with the VCDS experts so see if they can find an adaptation for this that we can reset to RHD

Trev

This is not a problem in Economy mode because the "steering" headlights are disabled.

AFS?

TH

Adaptive frontlight system 👍

SKODA's Adaptive Frontlight System is a breakthrough in road illumination that enhances driver comfort and safety by several notches.

To put it simply, AFS front light control system adjusts the light beam according to varied driving conditions. This technology is complemented by swiveling headlights, cornering lamps and dynamic headlight angle regulation. When all these functions are combined, road safety is boosted because when obstacles are illuminated better, the driver is able to react sooner and prevent an accident.

When the system is set to Auto, the lights spread wider and shorter for city driving, and longer for highways. The fog headlamps have a corner function which light up the space where you are about to turn. The AFS system is offered exclusively for the bi-xenon headlights, which provide both low and high beam.

Edited by Plantman

2 hours ago, Plantman said:

Adaptive frontlight system 👍

SKODA's Adaptive Frontlight System is a breakthrough in road illumination that enhances driver comfort and safety by several notches.

To put it simply, AFS front light control system adjusts the light beam according to varied driving conditions. This technology is complemented by swiveling headlights, cornering lamps and dynamic headlight angle regulation. When all these functions are combined, road safety is boosted because when obstacles are illuminated better, the driver is able to react sooner and prevent an accident.

When the system is set to Auto, the lights spread wider and shorter for city driving, and longer for highways. The fog headlamps have a corner function which light up the space where you are about to turn. The AFS system is offered exclusively for the bi-xenon headlights, which provide both low and high beam.

Yes, and it Sux's because it doesn't work properly.

Hey Plantman, thanks for the explanation of AFS.  

I love the Bixenon lights and the AFS in general.  They work really well on country roads in Australia. and at speed they work well.  

Seems though that i am not the only RHD owner who is annoyed by this little quirk of AFS at town speeds.  It is clearly  a programming issue which should be relatively easy for Skoda to fix.

I have also posted a request in the VCDS forum to see if anyone there can help.

Trevor

You can turn off the city setting of AFS but retain the other modes. I'm pretty sure it's just an adaptation on module 55 - headlight regulation if you have VCDS or OBD Eleven. @trevh

It was a thorn in the side on my 2016 Scout. I complained to Skoda UK, but was told this was a normal reaction to the driving style.

The basic problem comes from the fact these headlights were taken directly from the VRS without mods. They work well at fast rapid speeds, but are hopeless around town. I use to regularly have the right headlight pointing into the bushes or shining into an oncoming vehicle (not ideal and not good for rural Scotland). I was sooo glad when I shipped in that car for LED lit beasty.

2 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

The basic problem comes from the fact these headlights were taken directly from the VRS without mods. They work well at fast rapid speeds, but are hopeless around town.

Because VRS are only ever driven at high speeds and never around town? 🤔

My VRS had similar behaviour at slow speeds. Disabled City mode for AFS and problem solved.

It's nothing to do with where the headlights are taken from; it's that by design Skoda (or the OE lighting manufacturer) intended them to display this behaviour. VRS or no VRS.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Because VRS are only ever driven at high speeds and never around town? 🤔

My VRS had similar behaviour at slow speeds. Disabled City mode for AFS and problem solved.

It's nothing to do with where the headlights are taken from; it's that by design Skoda (or the OE lighting manufacturer) intended them to display this behaviour. VRS or no VRS.

Thats useful to know that it wasn't just folk like me who were annoyed by AFS - VRS Owners too! I just tended to disable AFS and that helped.