Retrofitting Proper Reverse Mirror Dip (Almost)

I have been wanting to get the proper reverse mirror dip working for a while. Not the dip a tiny amount and vaguely return to the original position version I had.When I fitted the folding mirrors, I did upgrade to the high line door controllers, but that wasn't enough. I needed the Memory Mirror Motor (part 3D0 959 578 C). I managed to get one from ebay, but it didn't come with any wires.

So following https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6960609-Mirror-tilt-possible-without-memory-seats-Possible-DIY/page2  I cut down a larger connector to fit. Also note in the thread about the pin numbers. They aren't what you would expect.

Pin out
7 5 3 1
8 6    2

4 is the blank.

Now all i needed was the pins numbers for the door controller plug.

@SashaGrace pointed me to this thread which had the door controller pin numbers

I enabled the reverse mirror dip with VCDS and found that with the motor I had bought, horizontal and vertial were the wrong way round, so had to swap all the horizontal / vertical wires round. So I ended up with

Door Controller                    Memory Motor

4                                                5
        5                                                6
        7                                                2

8                                                8

13                                               7
       14                                               1
       16                                               3

And after all that, my vertical is the wrong way round, just like for @Trust2k.  So my pin numbers may be specific to the variant of the motor I have and for someone else might be slightly different. But wanted to have a post with all this in one place, rather than dotted around.

All in all rather have the working reverse mirror dip. It really does work properly. Just really, really wish VW, Skoda, Seat etc were consistent with their parts, as even when a part has the right part number it might still be wrong because it came from the wrong make.

Moral of the story, I suspect, is buy the unit from aliexpress that is marked for skoda. A lot less hassle I suspect.

I will update this if I ever get my up and down to be the right way round.

• Like 1

So a posible explanation as to why my wiring is the opposite way round, is that the motors are specific to each side with the horizontal and vertical motors swapped round. This means I bought a drivers side motor.  I just need to work out which motor has the wrong polarity.

Seems BMW use the same motors. Like how the guys says the cheap way to fix a broken BMW one, is to buy a VW one.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2311540-E39M5-E46M3-Side-Mirror-Actuator-Internals-Knowledge-Bomb.

Looking at that post, looks like I should just be able to swap one of the motors over from my original motor. They are pretty easy to take apart and the motors just pull off.

Will keep you posted.

Yeah if you use a drivers side one you need to swap the polarity over. I did this on mine and it’s just a swap over of the 2 wires that control whichever direction is wrong. In my case the whole thing was out 90 degrees for each movement of the switch as I used the loom from a driver side mirror (don’t ask) so I had to do 4 wires but it’s easy enough to sort.

Nuts. Swapping motots doesn't work as that just swaps the problem. Controls are correct but goes the wrong way trying to get in the right position.

You just have to get a Memory Motor for the left side of the car. Going to double check with VCDS later to see if anything else, but doubt it. Suspect just got to find a memory motor for the left hand side.