I can hear a strange, plastic rubbing against plastic like sound when steering to the right or coming back from a full right lock to normal straight position. The sound is not uniform and I mainly hear this when parking the car. I am sure I had this before and it disappeared (I think I lowered the pressure in the tires and washed the car when I realized the sound was gone, coincidentally). Is there something that I need to lubricate perhaps? Apart from this noise, the steering feels normal.

• 1 month later...

It it still present. I took form wheels of and applied silicone spray lubricant to all joints bushes but nothing changed. Tires have done 43,000 km....

I am starting to think it is coming from both sides. When i start the car and turn the steering wheel left or right I don't hear it but after a drive it is audible when parking the car.

22 hours ago, CajoLajo said:

It it still present. I took form wheels of and applied silicone spray lubricant to all joints bushes but nothing changed. Tires have done 43,000 km....

I am starting to think it is coming from both sides. When i start the car and turn the steering wheel left or right I don't hear it but after a drive it is audible when parking the car.

Probably thermodynamics, I'd look at some touching plastics around the back of the steering wheel, this was quite common on Audi's 20 years ago

Dripping moulten candle wax in the affect area tends to work best as it, doesn't smell or dry out

Edited by themanwithnoaim

Have you checked this: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/432060-noise-turning-left/ (when turning left).

I have almost same odd sound when turning in low-speeds. Sounds like plastic joint squeaking in both sides. Same times it feels like coming more from right and some times more like from left. All joints lubricated. 

Been there since the 10,000 km and now 30,000 km in trip. First owner.

Thank you Nifa. I am under impression that this is a common issue. Last week I took all four wheels off  and lubricated all accessible joints/bushes with silicon oil. No improvement whatsoever. Then I read the post below and realized that I missed the lower suspension arm bushes (not so easy to access or see without a hoist). I have lubricated them since and there is obvious improvement but there is still some noise remaining. Sounds like I will have to take the car to a mechanic to apply lithium grease to the part in question as per below...

a

I will most likely try to lubricate those lower control arms bushings too with silicon spray. Haven't tried those yet. And if that doesn't help maybe I need to take them off and try that too.

But it seems to be a bit of nasty place. It's so nice that the retailer is just raising both hands. We don't know and cant locate the source of noise and factory don't know anything. I bet they do.

I tried yesterday spraying.. its a really hard place. Plus my car is lowered. I am planning at today to rise the car up with car jack and remove the wheel and try with better success.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I fixed it approx. 2-3 months ago with Teflon grease in spray. You don't need to remove the wheel, but you need to turn steering fully to the side you want to apply grease. It is more approachable if you raise front with lifting jack, but can go without - approach from the bottom. 

The problem is the front rubber bushing on the front arm:

000000085668-1.jpg

On the picture is this little horizontal cylinder lower right. It needs greasing in the middle.

Silicone didn't fix, some bike chain spray didn't fix, but Teflon did. You need tightly to put nose of the spray on the bushing itself, so the fluid reaches as deep as possible. Residue of this spray is grease, so it lasts some time. 

9 hours ago, nidza said:

Silicone didn't fix, some bike chain spray didn't fix, but Teflon did. You need tightly to put nose of the spray on the bushing itself, so the fluid reaches as deep as possible. Residue of this spray is grease, so it lasts some time. 

Nidzo hvala. This is the only PTFE in a spray available close to me and I will apply it today and report back. If it works, drinks are on me next time I am in Belgrade.

ptft.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CajoLajo said:

Nidzo hvala. This is the only PTFE in a spray available close to me and I will apply it today and report back. If it works, drinks are on me next time I am in Belgrade.

ptft.jpg

Dry lube? Sounds so counter productive :giggle:. Hope this works for you. 

16 minutes ago, GlitchGolder said:

Dry lube? Sounds so counter productive :giggle:. Hope this works for you. 

Why? It is basically Teflon in a can. It creates a film of Teflon. This formula does not attract dust and dirt. There is also a "wet" formula but it is not suitable for under the car because it remains wet after the application. I can only imagine having to clean the bushes every week and reapply the product (at $14 a can). 

wet.jpg

Surprisingly, the wet formula doesn't really look dirt attractive, although you got the point. 

I don't know if the dry lube can penetrate properly in the mid of bushing, but why not, let's try. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CajoLajo said:

Why? It is basically Teflon in a can. It creates a film of Teflon. This formula does not attract dust and dirt. There is also a "wet" formula but it is not suitable for under the car because it remains wet after the application. I can only imagine having to clean the bushes every week and reapply the product (at $14 a can). 

wet.jpg

I think you missed my joke :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nidza said:

Surprisingly, the wet formula doesn't really look dirt attractive, although you got the point. 

I don't know if the dry lube can penetrate properly in the mid of bushing, but why not, let's try. 

Both products are "wet" initially. The difference is that the wet version never dries out and it does not create a film. I am hoping that if I soak the part liberally, the lube will penetrate eventually. Perhaps, it will help if I generate some movement after the application, then repeat the process. I am off to do it now.

I have applied the lube. It did nothing. The best description of the offending sound is what you hear when a seat belt is retracting. Steering wheel is in full right lock and when I make slight move to the left and then back to right, that is what I hear. It is difficult to establish where it originates from. Sometimes it feels it is coming from the top of shock absorber, sometimes lower. I don' t know any more...

• Confused 1

Fixed mine with that WD-40 (I think non wet version, just "PTFE"). I tried from passenger and driver side when car was at ground. Did nothing. Today I tried it again when car was at crane, this time I sprayed more like from 2 direction (front & back). Couldnt do it same way wihtout crane. Seems like it helped.

• Thanks 1