Sludge in expansion tank

Sounds like someone has had a leaking tank/rad/pipes/etc (Not all of them but a leak or two) And has put in some "Barrs Leaks" Or something of that order.

Not a total surprise, given the age of the vehicle so don't be overly surprised by this. 

It might be worth draining the coolant system and refilling with the correct coolant. Fill slowly, let the engine run a while and keep checking levels as if too low, it will throw up the red overheating light and worry you. Once completed, keep an eye on the level for a few weeks to see if there are any new leaks/issues. If the level stays static, the problem was most likely resolved. A small leak in the expansion tank may be worth swapping it out for a replacement as they can be purchased for quite a modest price and fitted quite easily, other pipes, etc, if not too soft and flexible, may seal ok with a product designed for that purpose. K-SEAL is supposedly a good product and often seals and continues to seal, AFTER a fluid change. Many other products that float around seeking a hole, will block it but will almost certainly be removed with a fluid change, especially if you do a thorough system flush.

I would doubt that it was anything as worrying as a head gasket but cannot rule it out completely. If the fluid level is about right, put your hand over the opened expansion tank to fel for gas/pressure. (Not too hot an engine). You will expect some movement of fluid but NOT a huge gassy build up. 

Also, check the underside of the oil filler cap, for whitish gunk. If clean and no gas, I am sure the gasket was fine. 

Make sure you do your oil changes on time, use the correct grade and be sure to do the regen, if the light comes on. Don't put it off as it will go in to limp mode and need a forced regen, around £200!

Yeh, that can be a pain... The worse thing is having ne replaced, without checking properly that the head needs skimming or not, due to warpage. If it does and you don't do it whilst all stripped down, it will just blow again. maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day soon and for the... Well, you get the picture!

1.4 TDI doesn't blow head gaskets so it's probably leak stopper as mentioned, just keep an eye on the level, it may not look very nice but it's not doing any harm so I'd leave it alone until you know the car better.

• Like 1

The re-skimming of blown heads was meant to be more generic, then specific but its great to know the 1.4 lump does not suffer this issue. Is that just how it is, Sepulchrave or are you basing it on never having heard of it happening? 

I have had a replacement cylinder head, turbo, then full engine replaced ALL within the three year warranty term, luckily. I think the engine replacement was due to the oil pump chain snapping and wrapping itself around in knots, f.c.u.k-ing the whole thing!

Edited by mrgf

9 hours ago, mrgf said:

The re-skimming of blown heads was meant to be more generic, then specific but its great to know the 1.4 lump does not suffer this issue. Is that just how it is, Sepulchrave or are you basing it on never having heard of it happening? 

I have had a replacement cylinder head, turbo, then full engine replaced ALL within the three year warranty term, luckily. I think the engine replacement was due to the oil pump chain snapping and wrapping itself around in knots, f.c.u.k-ing the whole thing!

I'm not saying it can't happen, but in ten years on this forum I don't recall seeing a single thread where it had happened.

Any head gasket will blow if an engine is allowed to overheat badly enough by a mindless driver ignoring the temperature gauge and continuing to use the car.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have sludge in my expansion tank and also under the oil cap, cleaned out the psv valve which was sludged up with engine flush  and oil change inc new turbo but still loads of blue smoke from the exhaust on tickover and accelerating so cars going in for a new head gasket cam belt and water pump I’m guessing that’s the problem 

Water pumps do fail and are recommended to be changed along with the cam belt. I noticed you say it is "Going in", I would be quite sure the gasket is needed before opening it up, unless you have had clear diagnosis. You DO have the clues but be sure it is not just the water pump first. I would think the head gasket doubles up the price of the job, to say the least!

Definitely will get the garage to check the water pump first before opening up as it does double the price to £1000 thanks it’s in next Tuesday so will see what the garage says

Taking it to my local garage that I use all the time they quoted me £900 to £1000 for head gasket, cam belt, water pump & thermostat the Skoda garage quoted me £1250 

Bear in mind, Skoda will use all genuine parts and they will have a two year warranty!

If you are a regular or you had the car from them, they might just do a little better on the price, too.

On 06/08/2020 at 19:20, Allsop1 said:

I have sludge in my expansion tank and also under the oil cap, cleaned out the psv valve which was sludged up with engine flush  and oil change inc new turbo but still loads of blue smoke from the exhaust on tickover and accelerating so cars going in for a new head gasket cam belt and water pump I’m guessing that’s the problem 

Do you think it’s burning oil to produce the blue smoke? Rings and guides could be worn possibly too.

...Sprung a little leak today (possibly earlier but proper leak and needed to fill up the rad) and wondering if its MY water pump! I have the 1.4 diesel Greenline, 2009 and the leak appears to be on the water pipe area, on the right of the engine as you look into the bay, next to but lower then the battery/airbox. There is a fairly thick water pipe there which when squeezed, you can hear air/bubbles coming out. The dripping seems to be lower then the pipe, though just the back pressure makes the sound.

Edited by mrgf

On 08/08/2020 at 15:04, Wonky said:

Do you think it’s burning oil to produce the blue smoke? Rings and guides could be worn possibly too.

I’ve just picked the car up from the garage running great now with no smoke, the head gasket was blown so with a new gasket, head skim, new head set and bolts, water pump, cam belt, oil cooler and new glow plugs it’s all sorted for just under 1k

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allsop1 said:

I’ve just picked the car up from the garage running great now with no smoke, the head gasket was blown so with a new gasket, head skim, new head set and bolts, water pump, cam belt, oil cooler and new glow plugs it’s all sorted for just under 1k

Glad it’s all sorted.