radiator fan continuing for 5 minutes after engine switched off

KeithLewis

Hi I've had my yeti for 2 weeks, have done maybe 400 miles, today on the last 3 start ups fan has continued to run for about 5 minutes after switching engine off, anyone know the reasons for this

The car is trying to complete a regeneration, burning off soot in the DPF. If it gets balked too many times it can end up needing a dealer to intervene. Hopefully your mix of driving allows for longer trips at times? Only using a diesel fro short journeys will result in problems.

A quick 20 mile blast should allow it to complete and be fine for another 300 miles or soi.

OK I'm beginning to understand this a bit better now, I probably done about 50 mile yesterday and then 3 short journeys of about 3 mile each when the  the fan came on for about 5 mins each time after stopping. I've been to work today 10 mile each way and its been fine, I've never had a diesel before so thanks for the advice, gives me a bit of reassurance that its not a major problem

Yes, car is mid regen of dpf. As you get to know your car you may be able to tell when its doing regen. Tickover will rise to 950 rpm or there abouts. Tickover may also rise during cold weather or if youve got lots of electircs running like AC, heated screens etc. Of cousre, during a longer run you wont notice regen at all. Tend to let mine finish regen if ive got home and its mid cycle, doesn't happen often and generally finishes within 2 or 3 mins. Hope this helps.

If its a Manual you may also notice when your slowing down that around 1500rpm that the exhaust is a bit boomy, this is also a tell tale sign that's its doing a regeneration, Another is the shift indicator telling you to shift down at times when you wouldn't expect like doing 30mph in 4th...