advice for buying rapid spaceback

r0bm867

Hi there, apologies if posted before, but would appreciate some up-to-date advice none the less. Hoping my newbie status (first post) will prevent backlash!

Going to be changing my wife's car. She has an awful 2012 1.2 Corsa sxi 5 door, which returns poor fuel economy, and the power is pitiful (has to be really revved out to move at all, and hill's are a nightmare). We have our second child on the way so want more boot space, better drive-ability and economy, while having a decently made car that isn't massive.

So have settled on the rapid spaceback, but my brother pointed out the issues with dpf if looking for diesel (my wife does a mixture of short journeys and some rural flowing rural roads but not much carriagewat/motorway). 

Have found the following and put a (refundable) depsosit down. https://www.carbase.co.uk/used/skoda/rapid-spaceback/1-2-tsi-greentech-se-5dr/aetv70938129/ 

Does anyone have any feedback on this particular engine. I am sure it will pull much better than the corsa, as I see that this engine makes peak torque from 1800 revs, where as the n/a corsa made its (pitifUL) torque at 4000. But beyond that just wondering if anyone has any experience of this car and how the engine drives.

Also...does anyone know if the brakes are smaller on the 86 than on the 105hp's?

I can only say the engine is fine, plenty of torque although it still needs to be revved to get off the mark, it's the turbo on them. I've got the 1.2 TSi 105 engine in my Toledo, same as the Rapid engine, although not sure what engine that car has you linked to. You'll find the engine is used across the VAG group VW/Skoda/Seat range. They have turned to the 1litre turbo engines on most in this class now in the last few years.

Also not sure what the brakes are, some have drum brakes at the rear. Mine has discs front and rear, they are perfect for the car, stops well on them.

Sounds like I'm bigging up the Toledo, it really is a good all round car, loads of boot space and with the seats down I've had a dining table and the chairs in there, a wardrobe, really handy for those trips to Ikea etc. With sat nav, climate control, cruise plus loads of other features, you even get a spare wheel, over 40mpg around town and  £30 VED what's not to like.

So if you can find one with all the goodies great, the spaceback should be just as good but not so many additions as Toledo has.

I am well placed to comment on this, servicing my sister in laws 2010 1.2 Corsa, and my wife's 1.2 Rapid. The Corsa is a horrible, gutless, tiny little thing (not helped by its woeful "automatic" gearbox). The Rapid is streets ahead in space and driveability - but I am talking about the 105hp version here. I doubt that I could sit behind myself in the Corsa but perfectly possible in the Rapid. Both are budget offerings, but some of the Corsa plastics - like the EeeZee snap rear parcel shelf fixings - are as bad as anything I've ever come across. The Rapid did about 42 mpg in real life.

If you still find the 86 bhp not enough, it can be remapped to 130 bhp / 215Nm. Don't tell her.

30 minutes ago, inspectorman said:

I am well placed to comment on this, servicing my sister in laws 2010 1.2 Corsa, and my wife's 1.2 Rapid. The Corsa is a horrible, gutless, tiny little thing (not helped by its woeful "automatic" gearbox). The Rapid is streets ahead in space and driveability - but I am talking about the 105hp version here. I doubt that I could sit behind myself in the Corsa but perfectly possible in the Rapid. Both are budget offerings, but some of the Corsa plastics - like the EeeZee snap rear parcel shelf fixings - are as bad as anything I've ever come across. The Rapid did about 42 mpg in real life.

If you still find the 86 bhp not enough, it can be remapped to 130 bhp / 215Nm. Don't tell her.

That's interesting that you have experience of both vehicles! I have had a quote for a remap of the spaceback- £230 and every company seems to quote the same power-gains. Do you have any insight as to whether or not the remap means the car has inappropriate power for the brakes? I mean tbh she isn't going to be driving it fast, just want more grunt than the corsa so that she can get up to speed better, and not suffer going up hills

Think of it this way. Do you need different brakes to stop a 86bhp Rapid from 70 than you do to stop a 130hp Rapid from 70? As long as you're not pressing the loud pedal, no. How much power the engine can theoretically put out is irrelevant. Brakes are for reducing the kinetic energy of the car, not its power.

• Like 1