Superb Sportline

Hi All. I'm new to this forum. I'm on the hunt for a superb as my next car, preferably a Sportline. Been doing some searching lately and have noticed a few advertised here in Ireland as "Sportline Ambition", is that even a thing? I thought they were two different trim levels?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/skoda/superb/fpa/202007151281757?journey=Search

@dylbert I bought my Sportline in 2017, back then in Ireland they treated the Sportline as a pack rather than a separate trim level (which is was in reality) . The Irish configurator, would allow you to add the sport line pack to the Ambition spec if you selected the colours, engines, etc that were available for the Sportline. Since then the configurator has been updated to show the sport line as a separate trim. If like me, you are left a little confused as to what the Sportline spec includes, start off with the Ambition spec, i.e. infotainment, etc. There was clearer information offered by Skoda UK at the time but beware that the UK Sportline is a different spec, it got the Columbus infotainment where the Irish version got the Bolero (this has knock on affects, such as wifi, etc.) where the Irish version got reversing camera and front sensors or heated front seats of something, iirc.

In the car in the link, the Vega alloys were also standard in the UK but in Ireland they were an optional extra over the 18" wheels. The sweet spot for 2017 is towards the end of the year, these would have been MY18 spec (new infotainment, emergency call and breakdown buttons) but Skoda Ireland in Oct/Nov timeframe also gave the Vega Alloys and Sunroof as standard which continued into 2018.

The 190 (which I have) are rare enough in Ireland, they discontinued the manual in 2018 (I Believe) and later dropped the 190 completely which leaves me no natural replacement which is due in August, waiting to hear if they will bring the 200bhp version in the MY21 spec. 

@MaddicIrl Thanks for the reply. That makes a bit more sense alright as most of the Irish Sportlines seem to be lower specked than the UK imports. In your opinion is there anything missing from the car I linked you couldn't do without? I guess I'm trying to decide whether I should hold out for a better specked one, there are not many with DSG's that fall into my price range.

@dylbert That is a though question, when I ordered mine in June 2017 I was expecting MY17 spec (as your linked car) but ended up getting a MY18 Spec as it was built after the model year changeover in July I believe. The one feature I would miss is the ability to send a location to the car from the phone and check the current status of the car (locked or unlocked), this connectivity came with the MY18 Spec and because I had upgraded the infotainment to the Amundsen system (be aware that this has a yearly subscription). I did this for a number of reasons, I had also spec'd Traffic Sign Recognition (which requires Amundsen or Columbus) in order to activate High Beam Assist and Lane Assist using VCDS (which I never got around to) and secondly, the sat nav also uses the maxi dot for directions (which lane to be in for example). I didn't wish to solely rely on google or apple maps which will not use the maxi dot but this is a pure personal choice.

The Sportline comes pretty well spec'd as standard, its a big car so once it has front and rear parking sensors and reversing camera (which it should in Irish spec) everything else is nice to have, the more pertinent question is what you currently drive and if there are features that you couldn't do without that are missing from the linked Superb.

Btw: I think the DSG is an excellent choice, really suits the Superb as a relaxed cruiser, I was tempted but wasn't sure enough to commit to 3 years. IMO the dsg really comes into its own with ACC and other safety features, such as crawl function in traffic. Maybe this is something for you to look at but I cannot offer any real experience with this.

Hi don’t mean to hijack the above question. 
but I’m also from Ireland and just about to purchase a 2017 2.0 190bhp DSG sportline combi. 
It’s a 1 owner from new full service. 
also Skoda dealer is giving a 2 year warranty on the car for me. 
it’s got a 100000kms on the clock. 

Took it for a test drive and all felt good seats in it are amazing gear change felt good. 
Not lacking in power plenty off it. 
When I left the dealer  Forgot to ask some questions hope I can find some answers here. 

It has smart entry and push button start sorry still using Toyota talk. 
does it come standard with an alarm?  

how reliable is the DSG. 
also is 100000kms considered high milage on the engine. 
Not sure what infotainment system it has he did say it had the upgraded canton system and a DVD player. 
also is traffic sign recognition only  offered as part off an option?  
At what mileage should the timing and water pump be changed at?  

Thanks for any feed back. 
and is their anything else is should look out for with this car. 

@Notabean The Sportline in Ireland does not come standard with an alarm, TSR is also an optional extra. It sounds like the car has the Columbus infotainment which is the top version available. Personally, I don't think 100k km is a lot of mileage for a fully serviced one but should be reflected in a lower price. Can't say much about the DSG reliability other than what I have read in this forum, for the most part they seem reliable, they were two types fitted to the superb, a 6 speed and a 7 speed, in 2017 I would say its the 6 speed so you may be better identifying which one is in your car and ask specifically about that one.

Sorry, I'm not sure about the service intervals so others may help but also include the DSG service in that. Be sure you know what the Dealer warranty covers!

Can you post a link to the car? Would help with some of your questions.

Thanks for the reply. 
I’m sure the DSG is six speed. 
cant post a link for the car as it’s been removed form their site as I have €200 deposit. 
I asked about the warranty and was told it doesn’t cover the wear and tear things like tyres brakes. 
I’ll find out what it actually covers  don’t want any big bills soon.  

@MaddicIrl thanks for your help, went to view the car yesterday and took it for a test drive, very impressed, the car has been well looked after and is in excellent condition, not as high a spec as you mentioned but was happy enough to place a deposit as I think I got a good deal, hopefully pick it up Monday or Tuesday.   

That’s great they really are a stunning car. 
ive to collect mine this morning. 
Best off luck dylbert with yur purchase. 

Its a shame they don’t come with an alarm as standard. 

You welcome @dylbert and I best of luck to both you and @Notabean with your purchases, I have certainly enjoyed mine for the last 3 years and ****es me off there is no replacement for the 190 (in Ireland). Hopefully they will bring in the new euro 6d engine but not looking likely from what I have been told.

As you both are getting DSG, look up the threads on here for the PedalBox, improves throttle response and many say transforms the car (especially with DSG).

11 hours ago, MaddicIrl said:

As you both are getting DSG, look up the threads on here for the PedalBox, improves throttle response and many say transforms the car (especially with DSG).

Wonder what that would do to my insurance premium?

Quick update have the car just over a day now. 
first impressions very nice indeed really nice on the motorway solid as a rock feels really strong. 
just have to take it handy going over speed ramps as it’s the combi and on 19s. 

Sound system is canton, massive step up from the sound system I had in my Rav4. 
plenty over settings to play about so just getting to find my way around them. 

The DSG box is really nice as I was previously driving a Toyota with a CVT, CVT just howls when u ask it to move more like a grone. 
@MaddicIrl best off luck with yur pick up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So after a week of owning the car and about 1500km later I'm really liking it, very comfortable motorway cruiser, I was a bit worried about the ride comfort of the Sportline with 19" wheel but it's fine. I can see what people are saying about the throttle lag but I think it's not a major issue to me and I'm changing my driving style to suit it. One thing that is annoying is the stop-start with the DSG box, had a few hairy moments trying to be quick out onto roundabouts, I've discovered that if I can anticipate a maneuver beforehand and ease up on the break the engine will start and is ready to go. I'm finding MPG pretty good for such a large car with 190bhp, I'm averaging 50mpg which is only slightly down on my last car, a Lexus CT200H.

One thing I need advice on is service intervals, I think the car is set to variable servicing, I'm wondering should I stick with that or change to fixed? I do between 20-25k km per year, my daily commute is 30km each way on motorways and the rest of my driving is a mix of around town and the odd weekend trip around the country. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dylbert said:

So after a week of owning the car and about 1500km later I'm really liking it, very comfortable motorway cruiser, I was a bit worried about the ride comfort of the Sportline with 19" wheel but it's fine. I can see what people are saying about the throttle lag but I think it's not a major issue to me and I'm changing my driving style to suit it. One thing that is annoying is the stop-start with the DSG box, had a few hairy moments trying to be quick out onto roundabouts, I've discovered that if I can anticipate a maneuver beforehand and ease up on the break the engine will start and is ready to go. I'm finding MPG pretty good for such a large car with 190bhp, I'm averaging 50mpg which is only slightly down on my last car, a Lexus CT200H.

One thing I need advice on is service intervals, I think the car is set to variable servicing, I'm wondering should I stick with that or change to fixed? I do between 20-25k km per year, my daily commute is 30km each way on motorways and the rest of my driving is a mix of around town and the odd weekend trip around the country. 

Couple of points sounds like you have the 190 diesel and there is probably more lag on your car than my 363PS petrol but roundabouts are about anticipation of other traffic and planning ahead so if you need to stop completely try to brake gently and the stop/start won't kick in so often. Harsher braking is more likely to trigger the S/S and you're right even on 19" alloys with 235/35/R19 Michelin Pilot Sport tyres on my car (standard size is 235/40R19) the ride is still excellent and I don't have the optional DCC fitted either.  I cover about 90km per day in my petrol car averaging 39.45mpg (best of 49.3mpg) and I'm on variable servicing. After close to 18,000km in 16 months my car is still saying that the first service is due in 4 months time at about 26,000km which makes for very cheap maintenance. I would stick with variable servicing with your car due to the amount of motorway driving you do like me. Glad you're happy with the car so far.:thumbup:

• 4 months later...

Hi quick up date on the car really happy with it. 

Couple off little things I’m not a fan off is the start stop 🛑 comes on to early. 

Also front suspension creaks a bit when going over speed bumps seems to be well documented on the forum about it.

when I leave it in for a service I’ll mention it. 

Chrome around the DSG gear selector has started to peel a bit. 

Thats the only things that stand out. 

On to the good points which their are plenty of. 

The room in it is massive as it’s the combi I have. 

I’ve had a new front pvc door 🚪 fit into in no bother. 

Canton sound system with sub woofer I think is very good. 

DSG gear changes are very smooth. 

Plenty off power in the 190bhp for over taking. 

Seats are very comfortable it’s a sport line. 

Xenon headlights very good. 

Nice and solid on the motorway mostly motorway driving average 47mpg. 

Throttle lag!!!,

might get the DTUK pedal box whats your thoughts on them has anyone had any problems after fitting one or any faults been thrown up. 

You will learn to feather the brake when coming to a stop, which will negate the early "stop start". Just ease off the brake pedal a bit just before the S/S kicks in.

I have had the DTUK pedal box on my car for four years. Works great, never had a problem. Left it in during warranty service, no one's ever mentioned it. I do let the insurance company know it is installed.