Garage recommendation for Bristol/N Somerset?

Anyone in North Somerset / Bristol area? Any garage they'd recommend for a major servicing? 

My car is due: 

- major servicing 

- diesel fuel filter changing 

- pollen and air filter changing  I can do this myself, looks easy enough and not too messy. 

The local main dealer shows £302 (184 + 59 + 59). Feels a bit extortionate..... I'd have expected less than £250 when I'm doing the 2 air filters, or under £300 for a regular major servicing which includes the 3 filters. I guess I'm not in tune with main dealer's idea of pricing. 

https://www.heritageskoda.co.uk/offers/fixed-price-servicing/

What exactly is included in extended scope servicing anyway? 

\rant

I was forced to do diesel cam belt + waterpump in 2017 for £489, I noticed in 2018 it's £499. In 2 years time, it's jumped up by 10% to £549. Similarly, Nissan had minor seriving as £99 for Leaf in 2016, jumped up by 50% to £149 in 2018 and now £159. 60% increase in 4 years time. For doing a checklist and filling windscreen fluid! Are main dealers asking to be wiped off the earth by Tesla's online selling and manufacturer owned service centre customer experience? 

/rant 

The brexit situation caused a devaluation of the pound relative to other currencies. Maybe its that being reflected in pricing of things. 

Let them do it all except the pollen filter.

• Thanks 1
  • Groan 1

54 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Where in Somerset are you?

Also main dealer prices jumped way before Brexit, which had me move to an indy.

I think it had more to do with greed and glass palaces than anything else.

Yatton, between Western Super Mare and Bristol. So if you draw an oval around Western & Bristol, I can go anywhere inside that oval. 

Agree with you on greed! 

I guess I'm asking for Indy garage recommendations, to do major service (inc fuel filter) for £250 if possible. 

I get the impression heritage skoda are a motability dealer first and don't seem very interested in competitive pricing for people that don't have to use them. I had to call them about five times today to just get a price for enabling Smartlink. Didn't seem very interested! I'm in Bristol and have just bought a 16 plate Octavia so interested to hear how you get on!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, J_D said:

Vee W Services are definitely worth a call. Been very helpful for works on my vehicle. 

Thank you. I'll give them a call later. 

I normally live in North London and had used Citygate main dealer with waterpump and DSG oil, back then they were reasonably priced at under £500 and £180 respectively and good service. 2 years later with long service schedule, I'm met with well over 10% price inflation at main dealers!

So I'm definitely going Indy with my Skoda and DIY with my wife's Nissan Leaf EV (DIY pollen filter, any garage can do brake fluid, nothing else need doing) 

Tauton and Magor are not quite North Somerset & Bristol area......... ;)  Thanks anyway, might be useful for other people browsing. 

Edited by wyx087

4 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Thank you. I'll give them a call later. 

I normally live in North London and had used Citygate main dealer with waterpump and DSG oil, back then they were reasonably priced at under £500 and £180 respectively and good service. 2 years later with long service schedule, I'm met with well over 10% price inflation at main dealers!

So I'm definitely going Indy with my Skoda and DIY with my wife's Nissan Leaf EV (DIY pollen filter, any garage can do brake fluid, nothing else need doing) 

Tauton and Magor are not quite North Somerset & Bristol area......... ;)  Thanks anyway, might be useful for other people browsing. 

Indeed... but Somerset itself isn’t a huge area and some may wish to travel for a big saving. In our case it was nearly £500 down to £200.

I’ve travelled to Weston/Bristol before as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had my car serviced and MOT'd at Vee W services Bristol, yesterday.

Excellent service and very cheap, £240.70 for major service + MOT - pollen filter, I can do pollen filter myself so I bought one on ebay with 20% discount for £9 and installed myself. They did the inspections, engine oil + filter, air filter, diesel fuel filter, and MOT, would have costed £347 at main dealers.

Vee W quoted price was £260 for major service + MOT, £382 at main dealer using link in OP.

OP linked dealer is doing Skoda's fixed pricing. Their fixed price have is on an exponential curve.

Only thing I didn't get is a wash of the car, but I'm happy to save over £100 instead of a wash. A lot of main dealer's courtesy car now also require £10 additional insurance (at least all Nissan dealers wanted it in 2019, Skoda/Nissan in 2018 didn't need it). This further erodes main dealer advantage, if there ever was any to begin with.