thanks very much. i have realised today one of my neighbours is an auto electrician, he says (in reference to my other problem I posted about) that I have most likely streched a wire on the loom to the ecu when the halfords jack failed that was holding the engine, and he will borrow some diagnostic equpiment to plug in and have a look see. much cheaper than taking to a garage(cant afford it anyway) he might even try and fix for a few drinks.

Probelm is mostly wont start now but sometimes it will like i left it for twelve hours and it started, but once switched off it wont re-start. I have already replaced the collent temp sensor about 6 months ago (I understand this causes starting problmes sometimes) any other ideas why it wont start?

cheers

Jeff

thanks for your help, yes when i had the box on the floor the plastic bit where the cranck sensor wire plugs in got a bit damaged, but it still plugged in. maybe i will replace that (cheap) what this throttle body malarky what do i check for there? it it a sensor?, thanks for the swift responses by the way

ah sorry getting confused, crank sensor is on the block above the flywheel, just went outside on the drive with the manual, and had a fiddle with the wires to the crank sensor and it started :) but wouldn't re-start, I will have more of a proper look tomorrow.

thanks for your help, yes when i had the box on the floor the plastic bit where the cranck sensor wire plugs in got a bit damaged, but it still plugged in. maybe i will replace that (cheap) what this throttle body malarky what do i check for there? it it a sensor?, thanks for the swift responses by the way

That little bit of info would have been handy..lol

I'd be suprised if that isnt your fault. The sensor sits in the top of the bell housing, it picks up the fact that the engine is turning and starts the engine ECU.

ok I have taken the crank sensor off complety now is is well damaged on the metal part of it, I must have caught it badly on the flywheel when I was putting the box back in. I will order a new one tommorow, but at 38 notes plus vat at my local main dealer it all seems a bit pricy (for such a small sensor) any one got any good independant suppliers. I tried one call butt or something off the forum but they didn't have one.

cheers

£38 isnt bad for an inductive sensor, there is a few miles of wiring in there..lol

You saved yourself some money by doing the clutch yourself, ok you broke something but you live and learn. So even though you have to get the sensor im sure you are still in the money.

• 9 months later...

I believe that part number is: 004 165 018, reffered to as a speed sensor on my parts program.

Unless yours is multi point injection, then the number is: 047 907 319 A

Hope this helps.