Buying 2015 1.6 TDI DSG Rapid, anything to look out for?

Hiya

Buying a 2015 1.6 TDI DSG Skoda Rapid this weekend, is there anything I should look out for? It's done 45k miles.

Trading up from a MK1 Skoda Fabia.

Cheers

Adam

Edited by adamyt

9 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

I guess my first question is does a diesel suit your journey and driving style?

How many miles do you do and over what kind of journeys?

At the moment not too many, I'm aware of the DPF and plan to have it removed & remapped. I'll be doing around 3,000 miles over the next month & 1/2, however long term it'll typically be around 50 miles a day, 25 each way commuting. Drive a lot for enjoyment too so probs ~100 miles over a weekend.

Edited by adamyt

If you actually do drive for enjoyment, rather than to get to enjoyment, a Rapid may not be for you. After 6 years in more than one of them I can tell you the flexing chassis,  soggy handling and a so-so ride don't make it remotely sporty. The 1.2TSI is a whole lot lighter and a bit better as a result, but it's still a very old parts bin special chassis built down to a price for developing markets.

That said the 1.6tdi+DSG combo seems very refined in my daughter's Leon, and that is a really good drive but then it's mostly Golf Mk7 underneath, not Golf Mk4 (like the Rapid).

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

I really wouldn't be messing with the DPF. It's illegal to remove it as well as an MOT failure.

It sounds like you'll do enough miles etc to keep it clear.

The 7 speed DSG has no service interval. But there have been some recalls/service campaigns for oil changes and/or software updates. So you need to check if it's included and if it's been carried out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

If you actually do drive for enjoyment, rather than to get to enjoyment, a Rapid may not be for you. After 6 years in more than one of them I can tell you the flexing chassis,  soggy handling and a so-so ride don't make it remotely sporty. The 1.2TSI is a whole lot lighter and a bit better as a result, but it's still a very old parts bin special chassis built down to a price for developing markets.

That said the 1.6tdi+DSG combo seems very refined in my daughter's Leon, and that is a really good drive but then it's mostly Golf Mk7 underneath, not Golf Mk4 (like the Rapid).

Tbh the moon roof won me over, dogging in the countryside while looking at the andromina constilation, I think yes. Insurance is also a killer on more sporty cars given people my age enjoy putting them in ditches...

24 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

I really wouldn't be messing with the DPF. It's illegal to remove it as well as an MOT failure.

It sounds like you'll do enough miles etc to keep it clear.

The 7 speed DSG has no service interval. But there have been some recalls/service campaigns for oil changes and/or software updates. So you need to check if it's included and if it's been carried out.

Ah thanks for that, wasn't aware it was an mot fail. I was planning to get a 40k done on the DSG but if it's not required then not much point.

• Like 1

• Sponsor
1 hour ago, adamyt said:

Tbh the moon roof won me over, dogging in the countryside while looking at the andromina constilation, I think yes. Insurance is also a killer on more sporty cars given people my age enjoy putting them in ditches...

Ah thanks for that, wasn't aware it was an mot fail. I was planning to get a 40k done on the DSG but if it's not required then not much point.

Hi.

If you ever need any help with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

12 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

If you ever need any help with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Hiya Dan, just left you a message with my details not got any insurance in place as of yet.

If you enjoy driving then like any other car you get used to what it can do, what it cannot and adapt your driving accordingly. They do handle very well considering that they are not in the slightest bit sporty and I came from having a VW Scirocco R to this as I was in serious danger of losing my licence with that car.

Handling is also dependent on the tyres - in my last Rapid notchback I had factory fitted Conti Ecocontacts then changed them to Goodyear Efficientgrip, both on 15" alloys and they were really good, especially the Goodyears. My current Rapid has 17" Bridgestones that are terrible in the wet - so bad that I can get the back end out on roundabouts

• Like 1

To me enjoying driving isn't about the car being sporty, having the best handling, the fastest, dropped within an inch of its life so it can corner 5mph faster etc etc.

I've had more fun in cars that don't perhaps handle like a sports car. But I find in cars with normal suspension and tyres etc it's more fun to chuck them around without crashing and banging around or worrying about scraping the belly on bumps etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil-E said:

To me enjoying driving isn't about the car being sporty, having the best handling, the fastest, dropped within an inch of its life so it can corner 5mph faster etc etc.

I've had more fun in cars that don't perhaps handle like a sports car. But I find in cars with normal suspension and tyres etc it's more fun to chuck them around without crashing and banging around or worrying about scraping the belly on bumps etc.

Honestly driving the rapid home last night was some of the best fun I've had driving, I've only had basic 1.4's in the past (2 mk1 fabs, 1 rover and a peugeot) the DSG box changes gears quicker than I ever could, there's enough pull to not get embarrassed speeding up on country lanes. Dealer I got it from had a suspect hill which I was worried about bottoming out on, but nope.

Cruise control set to "70" MPH on the M6 didn't at all feel like I was going quick.

Very good. Hope you enjoy the car.

The DSG is super quick. Can change gear (switch between clutches at least) in as little as 8ms.

I've heard complaints of hesitation or delay. But honestly I've never noticed any. Must be down to driving style.

Drive it properly and anticipate what the box is going to do (you get to learn the shift points, when it will and won't shift down etc) and it's buttery smooth.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Phil-E said:

I completely agree about standard cars often being the most fun. The problem with my Scirocco was that whatever you asked of the car it obliged and it got kind of boring after a while. The sound of the engine and the sheer acceleration were incredible but I'd rather have something more fun like the Rapid

Yup. I've also dropped significantly in power and handling.

Although the Saab was heavy it had sports suspension and twin turbo so torque instantly no matter the revs.

240bhp and 490nm down to 122bhp and 200nn.

But I'm actually enjoying the Octavia more. It's a nicer ride just pootling along, quieter, smoother etc. But still plenty of power and torque to still have some fun.

Will still easily do 200km/h on the Autobahn. You often can't do any more than that due to traffic anyway.

I'd had the Saab to over 250km/h several times but that gets boring too.

Edited by Phil-E