RaceChip tuning box

I know to most purists this is a big no no, considering 1, it's a 7 seater and not really meant to go fast and 2, engine remaps should always be considered before a tuning box and 3, whether it really makes a difference is debatable.

Taking all of that out of the equation, because i'm an idiot, i went and ordered a tuning box from RaceChip (after already buying the pedal box from them previously) and fitted it in yesterday. So it's not as easy to fit as i thought it would be, mainly because the clips are so difficult to open and a couple of the connections are really tough to get to in my engine bay, but i managed to get it all done in about 20-30mins (would have been less if i had smaller hands!). Took it for a quick run on the dual carriageway with the factory setting out of the box for the box and the lower end seems to be pretty much the same, unless you change to sport mode and adjust the pedal box accordingly, but the mid to higher range feels different. Much more torque and seems to be giving more than it was before. I went for the basic box which in their theory, takes mine from 190 to 214bhp and adds 70nm of torque. 

I would personally recommend it, but obviously its completely up to you. These can be removed, but i assume Skoda could still tell there were changes if they connected to the ecu, if they really really wanted to.

1 hour ago, StevieDexter said:

I'm quite interested in doing this too. Did the pedal box give you any real difference alone or did you fit them together?

I've had the Pedal Box for a while now, it just gives you more confidence when you put your foot down that the car will move of from a roundabout etc. I turned it off a couple of times and realised quick that i couldn't drive like that again. Personally, the pedal box is a no brainer and a few on here have also done it, IIRC.

I have a 2.0 150hp SE Drive. I feel like the pedal box is probably the best bet for a change in the performance or would you say you would need/want both the pedal box and the tuning box. I've been looking at RaceChip as well as DTUK but I'v never ventured in to this world so slightly out of my depth

6 minutes ago, StevieDexter said:

I have a 2.0 150hp SE Drive. I feel like the pedal box is probably the best bet for a change in the performance or would you say you would need/want both the pedal box and the tuning box. I've been looking at RaceChip as well as DTUK but I'v never ventured in to this world so slightly out of my depth

It really depends what you're looking to improve. The pedal box doesn't change anything except regulating what happens and how fast the response is from when you put your foot on the accelerator. I use it to remove the lag between the pedal and the gearbox on DSG's. If you have a manual, then i assume there won't be any change (and you might not even be able to install it).

10 minutes ago, StevieDexter said:

You should watch the Darkside Developments testing video on You Tube (AKA DSD) and you may change your mind and go for a more reliable and better stage 1 remap instead which would give 185-190bhp on your engine.

Thanks, Yeah I have a DSG but after googling and researching quickly talking myself in to the full package!

Just now, shyVRS245 said:

You should watch the Darkside Developments testing video on You Tube (AKA DSD) and you may change your mind and go for a more reliable and better stage 1 remap instead which would give 185-190bhp on your engine.

Thanks... I'm heading there now! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

100%, if you're looking for good figures on a dyno then a stage 1 remap is def the way to go and you should be able to get one for good value. Like i said, im an idiot :D

• Haha 1

Haha literally the last 3mins of the video may have swung it back for me though... I have my car on a lease and would definitely need to remove the tuning box for servicing. So a remap might not be the option for me if it's going to invalidate a warranty