Back Again

armayeti

Hi 

After leaving ŠKODA for Audi a couple of years ago, I have decided to return to Briskoda following my purchase of a new Kamiq.  I have ordered a 1.0 tse SE DSG and and looking forward to comparing it with my Audi Q2 1.0 tsfe STRONIC.  Until a few years ago, my wife and I were a two car family but our needs have changed and only require one vehicle.  My favourite car of all time was the ŠKODA Yeti and regret the day I decided to sell it.  Anyway, things have moved on and I’m impressed with the whole range of Skodas that’s now available.

I’m keen to find out if any of the current Kamiq owners who previously owned a Yeti have any comments or comparisons.

Thanks

As a current Yeti owner I too will be interested in the comments of Kamiq owners who previously had a Yeti.

I have looked at the Kamiq in Skoda dealers and it is nice but does seem to much lower than the Yeti. The driving position doesn't seem much higher than regular hatchbacks. I am getting on a bit and like sliding into my Yeti seat while I sat down in the Kamiq.

Looking forward to owners views.

Thanks, but Karoq is both longer (by 160 mm) and wider than the Yeti. I really don't need or want a bigger car. Guess when I have to change it will have to be to another marque. But what??

Looked at the Karoq but as my wife had never driven the Yeti she was a bit scared of the overall dimensions and wanted a smaller vehicle.  Personally, I preferred the Karoq but as we now only have the one car I had to compromise.  Still looking forward to driving the Kamiq though.

I can't figure out why Skoda reduced the seating height so much. The VW T-Cross is built on the same platform as the Kamiq but the seating is significantly higher and, as the reviews say, gives drivers the elevated position of an SUV Crossover.

It's a deal breaker for many of us.

4 hours ago, Expatman said:

Thanks, but Karoq is both longer (by 160 mm) and wider than the Yeti. I really don't need or want a bigger car. Guess when I have to change it will have to be to another marque. But what??

Go for a test drive in a kamiq then you can compare. The Kamiq is 40mm higher than the scala

3 hours ago, skoda1982 said:

Go for a test drive in a kamiq then you can compare. The Kamiq is 40mm higher than the scala

I guess I will, I’ve sat in a Kamiq in the showroom and was very aware that I sat down into the seat rather than sliding in on the same level as I do in my current Yeti. My wife has a back problem and finds the Yeti perfect to get in and out of - she has problems with friends hatchbacks - Golf and Focus - because although she can “fall” down into the seat she has real problems climbing out! She hasn’t tried the Kamiq but I fear she is likely to have a similar problem, however, lets try it and see how it goes.

8 hours ago, Expatman said:

I guess I will, I’ve sat in a Kamiq in the showroom and was very aware that I sat down into the seat rather than sliding in on the same level as I do in my current Yeti. My wife has a back problem and finds the Yeti perfect to get in and out of - she has problems with friends hatchbacks - Golf and Focus - because although she can “fall” down into the seat she has real problems climbing out! She hasn’t tried the Kamiq but I fear she is likely to have a similar problem, however, lets try it and see how it goes.

The seat does adjust tin height

6 hours ago, skoda1982 said:

The seat does adjust tin height

I know but even on highest level it is significantly lower than the Yeti driving seat height of 646-699mm. Still I can but try!

@Expatman

It might be worth your while having a look at a VW Golf SV. It's got the higher seat position, and is just a bit smaller than a Karoq. As its just stopped production, you can only get stock cars, but they should come with a good discount. (I've been very happy with mine, but am not buying another as I can't buy a factory spec car with the options I want.)

Thanks CJJE but I will keep my current Yeti for another year or so. Just had a look at the new Peugeot 2008 and quite impressive, beautiful cabin, drivers seat height looked okay but will need further checking (didn't sit in display model as I was just browsing). Tech seems good with 8 speed auto box. Why are all cars made with black seats, I prefer pale leather interiors.

Edited by Expatman

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up my new Kamiq on Friday morning.  Although I haven’t had the chance to go for a long drive, initial observations and impressions are very positive.  Whilst not as tall as my previous Yeti, the Kamiq gives excellent all round vision and does feel like a proper SUV.  As previously stated, my last car was an Audi Q2 1.0 TFSI Stronic and is quite similar in many ways to the Kamiq.  The engines and automatic gearboxes just feel the same although the road holding and ride of the Kamiq may not be quite refined as the Audi.  However, this is just a first impression as I really need to drive the car on different roads and surfaces.

Apart from ordering a spare wheel, privacy glass, and quartz grey metallic paint, the SE model has all the goodies that I require.  Overall, the Kamiq is a modern looking car from the outside as well has having a bright and well equipped interior.  Will give a further update after I’ve covered a few more miles.

• Thanks 1

On 13/09/2020 at 13:45, armayeti said:

Picked up my new Kamiq on Friday morning.  Although I haven’t had the chance to go for a long drive, initial observations and impressions are very positive.  Whilst not as tall as my previous Yeti, the Kamiq gives excellent all round vision and does feel like a proper SUV.  As previously stated, my last car was an Audi Q2 1.0 TFSI Stronic and is quite similar in many ways to the Kamiq.  The engines and automatic gearboxes just feel the same although the road holding and ride of the Kamiq may not be quite refined as the Audi.  However, this is just a first impression as I really need to drive the car on different roads and surfaces.

Apart from ordering a spare wheel, privacy glass, and quartz grey metallic paint, the SE model has all the goodies that I require.  Overall, the Kamiq is a modern looking car from the outside as well has having a bright and well equipped interior.  Will give a further update after I’ve covered a few more miles.

Why is the Audi more refined? Isn't it on the same chassis as the Kamiq. Or does having an Audi badge on the car make it drive better? 

Don’t know anything about the suspension settings but the difference between the weight and dimensions of the Kamiq and Q2 may account for my refinement comment.  Additionally, my new Kamiq rides on 17 inch wheels whereas the Q2 had 16 inch wheels.  

Finally got a drive of over 100 miles today on motorway, A class and B class roads.  Really impressed with the Kamiq and look forward to driving it more in the future.  It does have some drawbacks though.  I read some negative comments about the lane assist elsewhere in the forum but I took it with a pinch of salt.  I can understand the safety aspect of identifying someone crossing over white lines possibly asleep at the wheel, however on more than one occasion the steering wheel tugged when I crossed over shiny black tar repair joints in the middle of the lane.  It’s a pity that you can only disable the lane assist feature each time you start the car rather that permanently disabling it.  I also miss the auto hold of my previous Audi Q2 Stronic when sitting stationary at traffic lights and junctions.

These are the only shortcomings that I’ve identified so far.  Over the years, I feel that ŠKODA has continuously improved their products and the the new Octavia, Scala and Kamiq are worthy additions to the brand.  Over the last 10 years my wife and I have between us, owned 6 Skodas, 3 Audi’s and 1 Volkswagen.  We’re great VAG fans and don’t foresee buying any other brand in the future.  Still miss my Skoda Yeti though!

I am about to purchase a Kamiq and trading in my trusty Karoq as the deposit.

Looking forward to picking it up in about a week as it's already registered and in stock.  :)