2017 Pre-facelift Octavia Scout suspension upgrades

Hi all,

To make a long story short, we're moving to mainland Europe, my UK MK3 Octy VRS is now on autotrader and i'm looking to buy a 2017 LHD MK3 Octavia Scout TDI (184, 4x4, DSG). 

I'm not buying the Scout because I need a offroad vehicle, or a raised one, but rather as choice in the UK is quite limited, and importing during covid just wont happen fast enough for our schedule. So i'll have to live with the scout for a while which means i'll do a remap or tuning box (remap preferred if possible with Shark or Revo), and as it's raised i'm assuming it'll be like a boat in corners (if not, please correct me :) )

During my VRS TSI ownership i've done loads of research on suspension and ended up with Bilstein B12s with Eibach springs which have been amazing.  But I can't find a single website, manufacturer, forum topic which would have a MK3 Scout on coilovers, or even lowering springs for that matter (probably for a reason lol), but as i know myself quite well, I'll want to make the Scout handle somewhat well before i'll start enjoying it, so a few questions I'd need help with: 

- Is the Scout suspension in any way different from the MK3 standard or VRS estate, apart from being raised (i'm assuming via springs only and dampers are probably the same?) and on higher sidewall tires? 

- Would I be able to just swap the Scout ones with i.e. Bilstein B12s and would it fit and work fine? 

- i know Scout has an increased towing capability so it sounds like some components have been strengthent, but not sure if springs or dampers would be those 

- and can I assume that ARB mounts and shape would be identical to the mk3 VRS estate as an example and i'd be able to actually use Eibach ones as an example? 

Any info would be greatly appreciated, and yes yes i know... scout wasn't made to be fun, but that doesn't mean we can't try and make it fun right? :) 

• Like 1

There was a topic somewhere discussing this.  From memory, the springs are the same as standard height 4x4 models, the shocks are the same as standard height and vrs models.  The extra height comes from spacer in the front top mount and taller tyres.  Not sure where the additional height comes from at the rear but it is probably a similar spacer setup.

If it were me the wheels and tyres would be the starting point to reduce the sidewall.  Then look at roll bars which I would assume the same as you that they are the same as standard MQB offerings.  After that lowering springs.  The order depends on your priority of performance vs looks.  I'd imagine the standard superb setup is similar in rolling circumference to a scout so you could start there.  Then maybe some wheel spacers to widen the track a bit?

On 21/08/2020 at 16:12, Magget said:

Hi all,

To make a long story short, we're moving to mainland Europe, my UK MK3 Octy VRS is now on autotrader and i'm looking to buy a 2017 LHD MK3 Octavia Scout TDI (184, 4x4, DSG). 

<snip>

- Is the Scout suspension in any way different from the MK3 standard or VRS estate, apart from being raised (i'm assuming via springs only and dampers are probably the same?) and on higher sidewall tires? 

- Would I be able to just swap the Scout ones with i.e. Bilstein B12s and would it fit and work fine? 

- i know Scout has an increased towing capability so it sounds like some components have been strengthent, but not sure if springs or dampers would be those 

- and can I assume that ARB mounts and shape would be identical to the mk3 VRS estate as an example and i'd be able to actually use Eibach ones as an example? 

Any info would be greatly appreciated, and yes yes i know... scout wasn't made to be fun, but that doesn't mean we can't try and make it fun right? :) 

Okay - I'll try and answer some of these questions:

1) Yes, the suspension on the Scout is very much different.  It is described by Skoda as the Rough Road suspension - and is an option on a SE-L 4x4 spec Octy.  The ride height is 10mm heigher than a standard suspension Octy.

2) The standard Scout suspension is very capable.  You definately need a FL Scout (LHD obviosly), but having owned a non-FL and now a FL Scout, I can confirm the suspension is much...much better.

3) On the non-FL variants on the Scout (which had a 6 speed manual), you could toe a LOT.  2000kgs braked, 750kgs non-breaked.  On a DSG gearbox Scout [standard on FL], it is 1800kgs braked and 680kgs non-braked.

4) Sadly cannot commend on ARB mounts....sorry.

PS....A Scout can be fun....but it is more waffty.  Really see if you can get your hands on a 186BHP Scout (because they are SOOOO much better than the 150bhp variants).

19 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

Okay - I'll try and answer some of these questions:

1) Yes, the suspension on the Scout is very much different.  It is described by Skoda as the Rough Road suspension - and is an option on a SE-L 4x4 spec Octy.  The ride height is 10mm heigher than a standard suspension Octy.

2) The standard Scout suspension is very capable.  You definately need a FL Scout (LHD obviosly), but having owned a non-FL and now a FL Scout, I can confirm the suspension is much...much better.

3) On the non-FL variants on the Scout (which had a 6 speed manual), you could toe a LOT.  2000kgs braked, 750kgs non-breaked.  On a DSG gearbox Scout [standard on FL], it is 1800kgs braked and 680kgs non-braked.

4) Sadly cannot commend on ARB mounts....sorry.

PS....A Scout can be fun....but it is more waffty.  Really see if you can get your hands on a 186BHP Scout (because they are SOOOO much better than the 150bhp variants).

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it. 

I'm looking at the MK3 pre-FL, 184bhp, with a dsg. I guess what I'm worried about most is that it'll feel like a boat in corners, especially as it sits higher than any other octy. But I guess I'll need to just try and buy a few octy estate parts and see what can get fitted.

There doesn't seem to be any online info on what fits and what not from an aftermarket parts perspective. Most companies just say parts fit octy MK3 estate, but there's no further breakdown of vrs, normal and scout, so I guess I was hoping someone here tried replacing some of the parts and had some experiences to share :)

• 7 months later...
On 27/08/2020 at 09:20, Magget said:

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it. 

I'm looking at the MK3 pre-FL, 184bhp, with a dsg. I guess what I'm worried about most is that it'll feel like a boat in corners, especially as it sits higher than any other octy. But I guess I'll need to just try and buy a few octy estate parts and see what can get fitted.

There doesn't seem to be any online info on what fits and what not from an aftermarket parts perspective. Most companies just say parts fit octy MK3 estate, but there's no further breakdown of vrs, normal and scout, so I guess I was hoping someone here tried replacing some of the parts and had some experiences to share :)

Did you get anywhere with this?

I've had my fair share of vrs's and other models and fancy something different so have been looking at the scout with 184bhp, like you I don't need the ride height (yet) but the 4x4 & DSG is a must.  Although there might not be any aftermarket suspension specifically available for the scout did you look down the octavia vrs 4x4 route?

Edited by DarkPeakCycles