MSFW Retrofit into Skoda Citigo Facelift 2017- Instructions

maxychat

I recently added MSFW to my 2017 Facelift Citigo SE L.  I couldn’t find a guide online so here is an abridged one until I can make a much more detailed one, with full pictures and format it properly.  When I was looking for the used car I noticed how few had the MFSW controls so hopefully it may be of some help to those who didn’t fit it from the factory or would like to add it to a used one.  Thanks to @P3P5I who's thread on adding it to the non pre-facelift model was a great resource.

39B3B906-D198-4067-9DE4-072433B28F54L0001.thumb.jpg.f0ba5400a61b96382584949735a552fa.jpg

Parts you’ll need:

1/ 5E0919719C  MFSW Control

2/ 5E0971584A Wiring harness

3/ Cables that fit into wiring harness.  I purchased a cable to retrofit the trip computer on ebay from Cum_Cartec.  It has 3 wires but only you only need 2.

MSFW Retrofit into Skoda Citigo Facelift 2017- Instructions:

1/  Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, and wrap it in a cloth.  Wait for a short while for any residual current to discharge

2/  Remove the airbag from steering wheel.  You’ll need to put the key in the ignition to turn the wheel both ways to access the clips on the rear.  Using a pick push down on the tabs to release it.  Put the steering wheel straight

3/  Remove the airbag cable by pull the white tab on the connector, and remove the airbag.

4/  Using an M12 spline socket remove the bolt holding the steering wheel in place.  Mark using a paint pen it’s position/take a photo and remove the steering wheel.  There is a factory mark where it should be seated, but mine was one spline off from the factory

5/  With the steering wheel off pry off the plastic trim on the Steering wheel starting from the bottom and moving left to the where the control will be added.  It takes a lot of prying and strength to pull it off.  Unscrew the blanking plate [it takes a very small star screw] and replace it with the MFSW control 5E0919719C

[I suspect this could all be done without removing the steering wheel, it would be incredibly fiddly but I’m sure it’s doable.  I was adding a new stalk for Cruise Control and the Trip computer so I had to remove it]

6/  Unscrew the screw on the trim underneath the steering column trim.  Pry off the upper section of the steering column strim and unscrew the remain 2 screws holding the trim in place that were hidden by the top piece if trim.  This is surprisingly easy.

7/  Tape the Clock Spring in place as a precaution

8/  With the steering column trim removed you’ll have access to the wiring loom.  Remove the connector that runs into the clock spring wiring by releasing the red tab.  In this connector lies another connector that needs to be removed from it.  It sounds complicated but it’s quite simple when you have it in hand.

9/  With the connector removed you now need to add 2 cables.  One to number 3 and one to number 4.  Thankfully on this connector they are labelled.  The cables will be run as follows:

Pin 3 will run to BCM (White) Connector B to Pin 17

Pin 4 will run to +12V.  In this case the yellow cable that runs to headlight angle adjuster.

10/  With the cables to the clock spring harness, put the bigger connector back on the end and reconnect it.  Run the cables under the steering column through a factor cable tie on the right hand side.  Replace the steering column trim.

11/  Replace the Steering Wheel onto the same spline it came off and tighten the retaining bolt to 30Nm + 90° as according to the manual.  Mark the spline bolt with a dot to indicate it's been replaced once.

11/  Remove the cable from the back of the airbag and replace it with the new one with the connector for the MFSW control 5E0971584A.  Replace the cables back into the steering wheel and the connector to the MSFW.  Be sure the cables are well placed so as to not be crushed when reinstalling the airbag.  Push the airbag into it place and it’ll click into position.

12/  Now remove the trim under the steering wheel.  Remove the pillar by the foot by prying it off and the trim as the side of the dash pry’s off too.  Unscrew 2 screw on the side and one underneath.  Then you an pull away the trim enough to make enough space to work above it hanging down.  It can be completely removed by prying the center piece of trim off under the radio and then unscrewing it entirely but I just couldn’t manage to pry it off (if anyone knows how please let me know).

13/  Remove the headlight switch.  Push it in and turn clockwise [look up on youtube] and disconnect the cable to create a bit more space. 

14/  Stick your hand in and remove the headlight angle adjuster from behind.  Pushing the tabs on both sides and pulling it out from behind.  Remove the connector from the switch.

The Cable that was run from Pin4 of the clock spring connector needs to be spliced into the yellow cable of this connector to get +12V.  You can get +12V elsewhere if you prefer but this 100% works perfectly.  When you switch the headlights on the button on the MFSW control will light up too so I recommend it.  Replace the Switch into the dashboard and reinstall the headlight switch too

15/ Remove Connector B from the BCM.  You’ll need to stick your hand up behind the OBDII port and undo the connector.  Once this is done you’ll need to push into the gap upward and left so you can access it.  Once it’s in the gap remove the white connector from the outside to reveal a black connector.  Separate the black connector into it’s 2 parts but pushing/pulling them in different directions.   

Once this is done you can add the cable that was run Pin3 from the clock spring connector to Pin 17 of the BCM (White) B connector.  Replace the connector back into the BCM .

This is by far the hardest part and seems impossible when faced with the challenge but somehow it’s possible with enough motivation.  Why VAG has placed the BCM here is anyone's guess.  

16/  Replace all the trim and reconnect the battery

17/  Using VCDS open 09 Cent Elect.  Change Byte 9 Bit 3 tick the box (change to 1).  If all is done well then you’ll have MFSW control.

Total Cost:

1/ 5E0919719C  MFSW Control  £45 for a used steering wheel with it attached

2/ 5E0971584A Wiring harness  £20 used

3/ Cables that fit into wiring harness  £15

Total cost £80  (minus anything I can get back selling the reclaimed parts I took off)

Time:  Allow 4 hours or more

Edited by maxychat
  • Like 2

@maxychat Great guide. There isnt much difference between pre-FL and FL models.

Quick note, for anybody who will decide to carry on with this mod - You do NEED to establish if your BCM will support MFSW function. Having Citigo of the highest trim or one of the latest releases DOES NOT mean that MFSW will work in Your car. Easiest way to establish that is to check phisically if the required pin is there "Pin 17 of the BCM (White) B connector".

+12V power supply its needed not only for MFSW to light up, but also to work at all. Please note, some older MFSW buttons may have the same VAG part number but they will not light up, also, accordinly to some, MSFW illumination maybe BCM dependent.

Edited by P3P5I

@P3P5I

Thanks and great Point you make about the BCM. 

I only have the optional Strop/Start and Heated Seats so anyone with that configuration you can be confident you can do this retrofit, but you should always check and be certain for compatibility before trying the installation.

But I wonder how many different BCMs there are on the Facelift model, something to investigate 

Edited by maxychat

@maxychat my Citigo had exactly the same configuration, yet Pin 17 was not there...

BCM list can be found HERE altough, following the before mentioned list my module being High+ (***-937-090-***) did not have the required pin.

More Pins on the module, higher the chances that all the features You already have will be supported plus view more. Always double check.

P.S. It doesn't have to be a Up/Citigo/Mii module. A lot of VAG will share same module across the range. It just needs to be recoded using VCDS or similar.

• Like 1