Heated Windscreen Replacement

abaday789

Got a stone chip in the windscreen yesterday when going along the A34 between winchester and Newbury. (Which is where I have got all my windscreen stone chips before from, for some unknown reason) The chip is right in the transition area on the drivers side of the windscreen of the lower opaque strip. So couldn't be considered right on the edge of the screen nor really in the driver's line of sight as it's hidden behind the raised dashboard. Autoglass in their wisdom over the phone believe it should be a full replacement but if i'm honest I don't believe it so due to its size and location on the screen. Plus I'm a bit dubious of what glass I'm going to get as a replacement from them especially as they need to remember it's heated screen plus there is all the driver assistance kit they will need to recalibrate as well. Autoglass haven't even asked for any photos from me in regards to the stone chip either so am tempted to visit their local branch to see what one of their techs has to say about it.

IMG_20200901_071747.jpg

IMG_20200901_071723.jpg

Edited by abaday789

Normally Autoglass will just fill the chip in, and if the wipers don't sweep over it then you should be fine. But perhaps the real danger is that it will spread into a crack when the winter comes (especially if the heated windscreen expands as its heated from an icy temperature??

I was told by Autoglass that if the chip fitted inside a 2p coin it would be repairable however the chip has to be big enough for the fix to work. Mine was too big to repair. I am a distrusting soul and went to my dealer who used National Windscreens to do the actual glass swap. The dealer then calibrated the camera. It was Skoda OEM glass that is also heated. I paid an additional excess with LV as I did not use their authorized repairer (Autoglass). The job took 2 hours while I waited, all systems function perfectly along with the heated screen. I did pay a bigger excess to do it this way but it gave me some peace of mind from various stories I have read. Interestingly the skoda dealer said they use National Windscreens every time and recommended them. They do not use Autoglass. This was my approach.

Edited by jasoncmiles
  • Like 1