DSG rattle

Chris300

Hi guys

I’m wondering if someone with a better understanding of the DSG gearbox might be able to shed some light on an interesting issue I’ve been having.

The wife’s MK2 Superb’s has always had a rattle that seemed to be coming from the DSG box when in P or N. I put this down to a clutch release bearing however I’ve just changed the DSG thermostat, as the coolant temp took forever to rise, and it seems to have cured the rattle.

Now this could all just be a coincidence and the rattle may return on the next journey but until it does I’m going to keep my fingers crossed that the rattle will remain fixed and try and work out how it’s been fixed by replacing the part.

So my first thought was that the rattle wasn’t coming from the box and was possible some kind of water pump attached to the DSG cooling system and that the pump was “dry pumping”. We get the same sound when guys open a water delivery at work but not the tank valve. Seems unlikely there would be a second pump, plus I can’t see how having the car out of gear would make a difference to the pump.

Does any one else have a theory’s?

Cheers,

Chris.