Cigarette power

Iceax

Afternoon all

Just a quick one.

Have just put in my dash cam to the fag lighter, but on leaving the car the camera doesnt turn off?

Does the power drop to this after a couple.of minutes, surely it's not a permanent live there?

Thanks

A

I'm fairly sure that the socket in the luggage area of my Yeti is permanently live, I have the towing relay wired through it and it will keep the trailer lights illuminated if the sidelights are left on and the vehicle locked.

Because its on all the time and hence the towing relay taking a small amount of current all the time I fitted an on/off switch.

Hard wire it to the fuse box and use a piggyback double on one of the ignition activated fuses. I had to do that in my Yeti. 

But in my Fabia, I plug it into the lighter socket and remember to plugin / unplug as needed because I like to leave the dashcam on when I park in a public carpark. 

As TerFar said above,my dashcam plugs into the cigarette socket,which is continually live,so  it can record possible bumps in car parks etc.

All wiring hidden except for the little  bit before the socket.

The light on the plug reminds you to pull it out before leaving the car if you want to.

Out of interest do insurance companies give discounts for dashcam users?

21 hours ago, RickW said:

Snip - - - - Snip

Out of interest do insurance companies give discounts for dashcam users?

I'd expect that some insurance companies would only give discounts if you have professionally fitted dashcam., and by a supplier of their choosing and probably one that comes with a support contract.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes offer premium discounts for a hard wired HD dash cam.

Regards,

Dan.

Just had my renewal through will add that when shopping.

7 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes offer premium discounts for a hard wired HD dash cam.

What percentage discount?