Sound insulation

Corbu33

Hi, 

Wanted to have your opinions regarding the subject. I test drove two models: 2.0 TDI DSG 150PS and 1.5 TSI 150 manual both with alloy wheels 18” Bridgestone Turnaza and I noticed very high noise from rolling I mean unexpected ... I am comparing with a Rapid 1.0 TSI 110 PS with 16” Nexen tyres and I find the Rapid much quieter. Seems very odd and wanted your opinion on this aspect.

Thx,

Low profile tyres with larger wheels will always be noiser than say your Rapid on 16 inch wheels on a higher profile tyre. It’s all to do with the amount of rubber on the road. A low profile tyre has a larger “footprint”. Also road surfaces have a lot to do with road noise too. But I can understand your disappointment. 

• Like 1

yea i really want the car but this noisy :(... anyway large wheels has also the Superb and there is no way this noisy,

curious also about others opinion, specially 18inch wheels and not only of course

Edited by Corbu33

I am referring mainly to the tire noise, not the engine, and windshield noise + side mirror noise. I remind you that I test drove 18" alloys. I do not know what is yours, maybe that is the difference. but as I posted in the clip, others are saying the same, I just posted the clip in order to better explain what I felt/heard.

Edited by Corbu33

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

sorry to hear your review on refinement. 
I purchased my first Skoda 3 years ago ( 16 plate Octavia) and the biggest issue I found was refinement. Engine noise, wind noise and road noise. Apart from this the car was great, however this lack of sound proofing really put me off. Driving on the m5 in the uk You would need ear plugs! Def not relaxing like some people report. 

With a small family the size of the Octavia is brilliant and reading new reviews and YouTube reviews who report how quiet the car is, I was hoping they had fixed the issue... but I always find user reviews the most honest. 
guess back to the drawing board to find my car. 😞

• 2 weeks later...

I have an SE Tech on 16 inch wheels.

It is much noiser for road/tyre noise than my Karoq was. My Karoq was similar size wheels.

New Octavia soundproofing isn't the worst but it for sure could be better. Especially when compared with other Skoda models.

Octavia hatch Mk4, SE with 16" wheels and Kumho tyres. I previously had the Octavia MK3 with the same 1.5 petrol engine and the MK4 is much quieter in all respects. Haven't tried it with the rear seats folded down though, the MK3 was much noisier with the seats down. Also getting 52.9 mpg round town and on B roads. Only complaint is the notchy gear change from 2nd to 3rd. The garage wants to keep the car for a week (with a curtesy car) to find out what is causing the problem. It's got the same rear beam suspension as the MK3 which was blamed for the noisy ride. I think the SE L hatch gets the multilink rear springs.