Traffic sign recognication

AndyC

My Karoq has this feature. Its activated in the 'Assist' in the infotainment, but doesn't seem to be working. The screen in the maxidot just shows speed limits which it gets from the satnav.

Am I missing something here, or is it something else to go back to the dealer with? TIA

Andy

It only recognises speed limits and (allegedly) no overtaking signs.  It will override the sat nav info.  For example it will pick up speed limits on a smart motorway or temporary speed limits in roadworks.  It is also a bit of a pain as it can pick up speed limits on junctions into side roads if they have been angled badly.  I have not been able to find a simple override to stop the speed limit warning when it has picked up a 20 mph sign at a junction with a 40mph road.

It works as a combination of sat nav limits overridden by ones it reads from the road. Interestingly if you have a caravan attached it displays the limit appropriate for towing.

And no overtaking is the only other one it recognises. I think the limitation is because most (all?) road signs are very local - left turn ahead, for example, and it doesn't know when to stop displaying the sign ('no overtaking' are 'switched off' so to speak). All roads have a speed limit of some description so that function is permanent.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine seems to be working most of the time, but yesterday driving through Stafford it insisted I was in a 45 limit area! There isn't one there of course, but what sign it saw I haven't a clue! So perhaps not as useful as I'd hoped it would be...

Chris 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using this with the warning enabled when you exceed the speed limit (I've chosen a 5 mph buffer). But with the speed limit recognition camera getting triggered by 20 mph signs on side roads, I've now set it to only give a visual warning and not an audible chime. Something is also triggering a warning when I enter a car park saying there is a 5 mph speed limit (without any physical signs!). I used to think my old Golf was like having my mother in the back seat, but the Karoq seems even stricter :) 

Chris

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

The trouble is you probably need to do an indicated 76 to actually be doing a true 70, so are constantly getting a warning!

That's almost certainly true - I haven't had the chance yet to calibrate my speedometer - and why I've told it to give me a 5 mph margin before it warns me. 

Chris

Calibrated mine a couple of months ago.  I was quite surprised the speedo only reads about 3 mph higher than actual speed.  I have my warning set at speed limit +6 mph so with the speedo over read and the (alleged)  margin by the police, I should be OK

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/10/2020 at 15:09, AndyC said:

My Karoq has this feature. Its activated in the 'Assist' in the infotainment, but doesn't seem to be working. The screen in the maxidot just shows speed limits which it gets from the satnav.

Am I missing something here, or is it something else to go back to the dealer with? TIA

Andy

I have the same issue.  I opted for Traffic Sign Recognition to be included in the spec for my Superb SEL (MkIII) and it's on the spec sheet that came with the car, as "Traffic Sign recognition with Multifunction Camera". However, I'm quite certain now that the speed limits displayed on the Maxidot are coming from the SatNav database not the camera.  Coming up the A1/M in snow today the motorway signs were displaying 60 as the limit but Maxidot and SatNav stuck resolutely to 70. I've also been through fresh roadworks recently with clear 50 signs and Maxidot still showing 70. When the speed limit changes the display changes a couple of seconds later suggesting again that it's coming from the database. My wife Toyota Yaris with TSR changes immediately and works very well with very few mistakes.  I too sometimes have 110 displayed in a 70 zone. It always happens in the same location which would suggest it's a database error rather than a camera misread. My conclusion is that camera TSR is not being used at all. 

My question is the same as yours. Is this a malfunction (ie take to dealer) or something I've not set right in some menu?  Under Assistants I have it listed as Dynamic Road Sign Display. I have Show In Instrument Cluster selected and I have a visual warning set for a 5 mph over speed.

Any advice or experience with TSR appreciated. Thanks.

M

Sounds like their must be a fault with yours.  Mine (Karoq Edition 1.5 manual) works pretty much as expected.  When a speed limit sign is detected, the speed displayed by the car changes at the exact point where the car draws level with the sign.  As I said above there are limitations e.g. signs at the entrance of side streets, if angled badly, can be detected when you are still driving on the main road;  " count down" signs to speed limits tend to be interpreted as the start of the speed limit.  Works well for variable speed limit signs on motorways, can be a bit hit or miss for small, repeater-sized, signs.

4 minutes ago, MillHey said:

Sounds like their must be a fault with yours.  Mine (Karoq Edition 1.5 manual) works pretty much as expected.  When a speed limit sign is detected, the speed displayed by the car changes at the exact point where the car draws level with the sign.  As I said above there are limitations e.g. signs at the entrance of side streets, if angled badly, can be detected when you are still driving on the main road;  " count down" signs to speed limits tend to be interpreted as the start of the speed limit.  Works well for variable speed limit signs on motorways, can be a bit hit or miss for small, repeater-sized, signs.

Thanks for that. I've just booked it in with the dealer.

M