RIP Nobby Stiles

moley

9 minutes ago, leckman said:

Very sad,I think that just leaves Roger Hunt and Bobby Charlton left from the winning 1966 side now.

Geoff Hurst is still with us and George Cohen.

Edited by moley
George Cohen

When I was a child Nobby seemed so old compared to the players of his day but I realise now that he cannot have been because he has outlived nearly all of them.

What age was he when he died?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

What age was he when he died?

He was 24 in 1966. Alan Ball was the youngest at 21, Martin Peters was 22 and Geoff Hurst was also 24.

Edited by moley

Yes I had read his age and made the calculation, I was only 7 in 66 so must have been remembering him from the early 70's, he wasn't wearing well back then!

The 66 World Cup is one of my earlier memories, on a family holiday at a caravan park, I think it was the Sunshine Holiday Camp on Hayling Island, everyone was gathered around my dads 64 HA Viva listening to the radio, he was dead posh, not only a nearly new car but one with a radio!!

• Like 1

I remember watching the 66 World Cup Final live on TV at home (my Dad worked for Philips so we got TVs early - my brothers tell me they watched the Coronation in 1953!), it was a great day which I still remember despite only being 9 then.

RIP Nobby.

Sad to hear that Sir Bobby Charlton has also been diagnosed with dementia. Far too many players of that era seem to go this way. Heading that heavy leather football has done them no good. 

• Sad 1