Disaster fitting FAG bearings.

Both the FAG bearings went in beautifully with my press so i can only assume the wheel hub/abs ring must be the wrong one for my car..?

Really angry right now because money down the drain.  The first Wheel hub abs ring i tried tapping gently in with a hammer as per the Autodoc videos... it got so far and wouldn`t go any further, so i gave it some firm smacks with the hammer and then the bearing started to come apart, it became loose like it was coming apart.  The second one I tried a more gently approach, slowly easing it in with my press, the hub got so far then the fag bearing bottom just popped off!!!  Am i right in assuming the hub/abs ring must be wrong?? It's almost as if it is slightly too wide for the bearing.  I did notice the bearing has a groove in the middle between both halfs.  The abs ring has no grooves, its just a smooth shaft. 

So annoyed now as the FAG bearings are not exactly cheap!  Anyone any ideas as why this could have happened.. just wrong part??  I applied plenty of the proper grease that came with the FAG bearings to all surfaces.  Just seems as if the abs ring/hub splined shaft was too wide.

Cheers,

Samuel

20201108_133249.jpg

20201108_133334.jpg

20201108_133251.jpg

20201108_133351.jpg

Edited by sammyhale30

Ok after watching some more vids on youtube that go into more detail... I didn`t support the bottom of the bearing when pressing the abs ring hub in...so the bearing was pushed apart under the pressure.   :(.  We learn by mistakes i guess.

In your photograph you the adaptor you are using is pressing the inner out of the bearing.

Should you not have been pressing on the hub?

Its been several years since I did one but I'm sure that I pressed the ABS ring onto the hub.

It is critical that you should only exert any insertion force against the OUTER part of the ball-race when installing - a good tip is to use an old, discarded ball-race of the same size as a mandrel. Hammering- n a bearing on the inner race will almost certainly result in "dimpling" the bearing faces - or destroying the bearing completely.  

That bearing could easily be reassembled using the press judiciously, after all that is the way that it was put together.

You wont be able to "dimple" a through hardened bearing race but you could certainly destroy the bearing or cause its premature failure.

Edited by J.R.