ECU Replacement opinions please

All, not posted for a while probably because by 2016 MK III 105,000 mile Superb has been going great and I have stopped commuting to work for 6 months !

I have however had the orange engine management light on for a little while with no obvious issue  other than the car no longer likes starting on cold mornings.

Took car into dealership and  they put the battery on charge but said the orange fault  light comes up as the ECU.  Without any further info to go on, the dealership says they would have to replace the ECU.  They have no experience of an ECU fault before. 

Well the cost of ECU itself is only £1,100 ( I think plus VAT)  .  So without any obvious problem with the car I declined the offer of a replacement. 

Thoughts please .... 

thank you.

The orange light can come on for many reasons so without seeing a fault code, it's impossible to know if the ECU needs replacing or not. I'm not aware of any common ECU failures though...

I'd suggest you find a local member with VCDS or similar to scan the car and confirm exactly what codes are present :)