diesel fuel filter replacement - Skoda superb mk3 2.0

sahar

hi

I have a Superb 3 19 plate just before its major 20k ish service. 

The official mileage for the fuel filter replacement is 60k (!) but I would like to have it replaced at 20k (on my older cars liked to have them replaced every 10k which I did myself).

Since the car is still in warranty that 20k service will be done at main Skoda dealer, and I was quoted £70, on top of £279 for a major service, to get it done.

Having done all the servicing myself before (Altea 1.9 PD) I know it is a robbery. 

Would like to do it myself but not sure if this affects the warranty then, if no trace of fuel filter replacement is logged in the Skoda system and they find out later on(for any reason), does anyone know ?

From a technical point of view it seems to be a standard cartridge type filter, does anyone know if it needs priming with VCDS at all after replacement if diesel still left in the housing?

thanks 

as you say, the filter doesnt need to be replaced until 60k miles, so warranty not effected if not done.

the warranty could be effected though if you diy, unless you use the same make of filter as the factory use.

i believe vag use mann or bosch filters, cost at  eurocarparts is £30 - £35, so not a great saving.

when i replace i just fill the canister  with diesel before tightening the lid back on, prevents any airlocks.

personally i think about 30k miles is about the right time to change the fuel filter

If you want to avoid 'evidence' of DIY, you need to buy the filter by an official Skoda dealer. Otherwise, even if you buy a filter directly from a manufacturer that also supplies OEM filters, you won't get the Skoda P/N written on the filter.  ;) 

Replacing the filter is very easy. If some diesel is missing in the cartridge once the new filter is in, you can prime the fuel system without VCDS.

1) Switch the engine ON (without starting)

2) Wait for ~10s to let the fuel pump pressurizing the system

3) Switch the engine OFF

4) Wait for ~15s to let the fuel pressure drop.

5) Go back to step 1) and repeat the sequence 3 or 4 times.

Then start the engine. It should idle steadily. Possibly, you can rev it to ~1500 rpm for 20-30s to get rid of potential air bubbles in the hoses.

Then, it's done! ;) 

• Like 1

thanks for the reply chaps,

Usually I would go to TPS (UK based)) to get a genuine filter with Audi/VW/Skoda logos all over the place but due to the covid mess they do no do a walk in retail anymore so this leaves me with a Bosh/Mann branded one  (which I know is exactly the same) filter that they(Skoda) may question if it ever goes to fuel system warranty call.

You have almost convinced me to to either pay up, or live with the filter for another 10k miles ;)