OCTAVIA Mk2 VRS - HELP REQUIRED

TonyLS

Hello

I’ve recently joined the group as I’m looking to change from my current Toyota Celica which I’ve owned for over five years but I now need something a bit bigger but which is still quick and good to drive. I’m looking to  buy a petrol Octavia VRS Mk2 in the near future when the right one comes along.

My question is if anyone can confirm if the final models of the Mk2 VRS, which would be 2012 models, were ever fitted as standard with the latest updated cam chain tensioner which as I understand it is the fourth version of it.

My apologies for asking the question or a similar one that may have been raised in the past but I have looked through the forum and also trawled the internet generally with regard to the issues with the 2.0 TFSI CCZA/EA888 engine and the well documented cam chain tensioner/cam chain issues. I've not so far managed to establish an answer to my question so I'm hoping someone on the forum can help.

The Mk3 is a possible alternative option as it doesn’t have the same issues as I understand it but I would prefer the Mk2 version on size and cost grounds so I’m guessing that if the last of the Mk2 models didn’t have the latest cam chain tensioner fitted as standard then I either have to establish if the upgraded one has subsequently been fitted to whichever car I’m looking to buy or factor in the cost of upgrading it – or consider a Mk3.

Any help or guidance really would be most appreciated and thanks in advance to anyone who can help or advise me.

Tony

20 minutes ago, TonyLS said:

Thanks for the information, they did come with a lot of extras included so worth looking out for but would they have had the uprated tensioner fitted do you know?

All I can tell you is that my previous Octavia was a late 2011 VRS TSI Mk2 FL. It certainly did not have the latest chain tensioner at the time. As a preventative measure, I had new tensioner and chains fitted at 50k miles and it ran perfect till I traded it in at 104k miles for my present VRS. From what I have read in the past, the new more reliable tensioner was not fitted on these cars till around the middle of 2012. 

Thanks, that's really useful and would seem to indicate what I suspected that even the last of the Mk 2 models weren't fitted with the upgraded tensioner. Given the cost of replacing tensioner and cam chain etc on a late Mk 2 an early Mk 3 is looking like a better option.

Your VRS sounds a bit tasty!

Cheers

58 minutes ago, TonyLS said:

Thanks, that's really useful and would seem to indicate what I suspected that even the last of the Mk 2 models weren't fitted with the upgraded tensioner. Given the cost of replacing tensioner and cam chain etc on a late Mk 2 an early Mk 3 is looking like a better option.

Your VRS sounds a bit tasty!

Cheers

Thanks, yes the car does go quite well. I also had my previous VRS mapped, as well as a number of other upgrades, suspension, anti- roll bars, exhaust etc. That MK2 really did then handle very well.  However, getting a stage one map on a MK3, gives you far more power than on a MK2, if that is what you decide to do with your next car. I just love these cars. Just in case you still go with a MK2, it cost me around £650 at my local independent garage, to get those chains and tensioner fitted.  Good luck with your car search mate.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated. I'll keep on looking and see what turns up, not in a hurry to change the car so I'm prepared to wait for the right car to come along.