Fuel door not locking - cable inoperative?

hackingjam

Hi all,

recently purchased a 54 fabia vrs. One issue with it was the fuel door not locking, and after having a look on this lovely website I could see this is a common issue where a little cable has come out. Pulled aside the carpet and sure enough it had come out. However, when I locked and unlocked the car, nothing appeared to happen? I would expect the cable to retract and compress the spring, which it is not. Having the spring extending is making it impossible to replace the cable, so I’m wondering if this is defective, or I just need to use some more force :D

6E5BD899-4CFE-4465-AA89-1518EA88E709.jpeg

3D7EBD54-51AA-481C-B4EB-CE079590E92C.jpeg

Hi, the cable has a 45 degree slope on its end.You need to make sure it is the correct way round when you put it into the plastic holder.There are 2 small fragile slots on the end of this housing,with 2 corresponding pegs on the cable end.Make sure these are engaged correctly. There is a fix on here if these slots have broken. It uses small cable ties to hold cable and housing tightly together.I would not use glue,because you may have to separate at some time.

Edited by AndyPandy
added words
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AndyPandy said:

Hi, the cable has a 45 degree slope on its end.You need to make sure it is the correct way round when you put it into the plastic holder.There are 2 small fragile slots on the end of this housing,with 2 corresponding pegs on the cable end.Make sure these are engaged correctly. There is a fix on here if these slots have broken. It uses small cable ties to hold cable and housing tightly together.I would not use glue,because you may have to separate at some time.

Didn't have it oriented properly - cheers!

I can now see the little locking part retract, but the door still doesn't 'spring' open so when the fuel door handle is released, it just re locks. Any ideas? Grow an extra long limb to pull the flap and release level simultaneously? :D

On 19/11/2020 at 16:44, gav_is_con said:

Remember to fix the problem. I did a cable tie fix and it never happened again. The thread is too old now. But it was a common issue the cable coming adrift. 

Have now stuck a zip tie around, hopefully it'll stay.

On 19/11/2020 at 14:17, AndyPandy said:

I can only think of lubricate the hinges and the lock

Doesn't seem to have done anything. I can see the door trying to open when I pull the release level, but it just isn't able to pop open without an extra pair of hands to give it a pull. I've checked and the locking part fully retracts as well, not sure what else I can try :crying: