Smell Of Diesel

I have 2 issues if anyone could help please.

I have a smell of diesel coming through the front vents when I turn them on. I had the ERG valve fitted not long ago so dont know if this is connected or totally unrelated.

I also have an issue with my fog lights at the front. When I'm driving the one on the passenger side comes on and off at different times and totally random. Seems to come on when I put the car in reverse or put the clutch down but might be wrong on that cause its hard to tell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Regards the diesel smell, you need to check that your injectors are not leaking. Injector seal failure could cause this.

if you had an EGR valve issue, it would throw up a fault code (injector failure won’t and you likely won’t even notice any performance change, just the smell of diesel leaking out.

Get the bonnet open, the plastic cover off the engine and have a very good look in there with a torch to see for any signs of diesel leaking out from the top of the engine.

Regards the fog lights. Is the passenger side one coming on when you turn left (and the same for the drivers side when you turn right). Check both bulbs actually work. If so, this is the fog light cornering function and is intended to provide additional illumination when turning. It is normal. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chrisgreen said:

Regards the diesel smell, you need to check that your injectors are not leaking. Injector seal failure could cause this.

if you had an EGR valve issue, it would throw up a fault code (injector failure won’t and you likely won’t even notice any performance change, just the smell of diesel leaking out.

Get the bonnet open, the plastic cover off the engine and have a very good look in there with a torch to see for any signs of diesel leaking out from the top of the engine.

Regards the fog lights. Is the passenger side one coming on when you turn left (and the same for the drivers side when you turn right). Check both bulbs actually work. If so, this is the fog light cornering function and is intended to provide additional illumination when turning. It is normal. 

Thanks mate I'll check this out later 

• 2 months later...

Quick update on this as managed to solve the issue. Put some Dipetane in the fuel tank and gave it an "Italian tune up" once the car got to operating temperature. Diesel smell completely gone and car running even better now. 

I suspect there was carbon build up around the fuel injectors causing the smell to come through the vents. The Dipetane has burnt this off & gave it a complete clean up.

Edited by Dogtanian1234

The foglights are programmed to come on when reverse gear is engaged, dog only knows why, the nearside one that you are seeing is probably the cornering assistance function, as has been said it should also happen when turning right beyond certain steering angles.

• Like 1