A general query about DRIVESHAFTS

Hi,

I've got a general query about driveshafts on Skoda Octavias.

My diesel Octavia (DSG Auto) is an 07, has about 96K on the clock, is well serviced, is a pleasure to drive and only does about 2000 miles per year (I catch the bus to work).

Last month the driveshaft snapped while I was doing a turn in the road. It's been replaced and was extensively road tested before I got it back (so far so good)

I have however been looking to change my car mainly because my office is in a clean air zone and my car isn't ULEZ compliant (driving to work may help to reduce the risks of exposure to Covid19 while on the commute to and from work)

I'm not a mechanic or a motoring expert but the driveshaft failure is worrying me for the following reasons.

1) are driveshafts a bit like cambelts in that they need to be changed when certain mileage or vehicle age milestones are reached?

I've read one or two articles on forums about driveshafts breaking on Skoda's

2) does anyone know if this could be a known issue on Skodas?

3) if so,  could it be an issue on Skoda's that were manufactured during a certain period meaning that cars made in the past 5 years are no longer affected?

4) is it likely a problem like this could also affect the VW/Audi/Seats range as a lot of the parts are interchangeable?

Not having an indication of an answer is affecting the choice of my next car, i.e. I'm leaning away from the VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda vehicle range - otherwise I'd stick with this range of cars.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

12 minutes ago, StevieBoy2020 said:

Hi,

I've got a general query about driveshafts on Skoda Octavias.

My diesel Octavia (DSG Auto) is an 07, has about 96K on the clock, is well serviced, is a pleasure to drive and only does about 2000 miles per year (I catch the bus to work).

Last month the driveshaft snapped while I was doing a turn in the road. It's been replaced and was extensively road tested before I got it back (so far so good)

I have however been looking to change my car mainly because my office is in a clean air zone and my car isn't ULEZ compliant (driving to work may help to reduce the risks of exposure to Covid19 while on the commute to and from work)

I'm not a mechanic or a motoring expert but the driveshaft failure is worrying me for the following reasons.

1) are driveshafts a bit like cambelts in that they need to be changed when certain mileage or vehicle age milestones are reached?

I've read one or two articles on forums about driveshafts breaking on Skoda's

2) does anyone know if this could be a known issue on Skodas?

3) if so,  could it be an issue on Skoda's that were manufactured during a certain period meaning that cars made in the past 5 years are no longer affected?

4) is it likely a problem like this could also affect the VW/Audi/Seats range as a lot of the parts are interchangeable?

Not having an indication of an answer is affecting the choice of my next car, i.e. I'm leaning away from the VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda vehicle range - otherwise I'd stick with this range of cars.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

1. No, driveshafts are not a service item.

2. I don't see the forum filling up with driveshaft issues.

3. As above

4. I think you've just been unlucky.

The driveshaft actually consists of a few different parts. Usually a shaft of solid metal (that doesn't usually break, as it's pretty thick), and a couple of CV joints to transmit the drive from the gearbox, to the shaft, and then onto the front wheel. CV joints have a several moving parts and are susceptible to wear, especially if the rubber boot splits and lets out the grease, and water/dirt gets in. This part is much more likely to fail, and is quite a common MOT failure across all makes and models. Certainly not specific to VAG!

Did the shaft actually shear? This is quite rare, I've seen them go when rusted though - sometimes water/salt collects around a rubber damper and corrodes the shaft until it's weak enough to snap. Another point of failure would be the CV joint seperating, although I'd expect you'd hear a lot of noise before that let go.

Ultimately, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.