vRS loose steering

sakta

I've recently done a lot of repairs to my Fabia, quite a lot was wrong...

Fitted new control arms (with new console bushes etc - they were knackered), new ARB links, and the steering is tighter. But, there is a lot of play in the steering, when you go over a bump, you get a loud thud in the car, and the steering shakes.

My mechanic has looked twice, and he still can't find the source of the problem. If it helps, when I turn, I get clicking so assuming my CV joints or driveshafts are on the way out, but I assume this is a different problem?

On an unrelated note, I get a weird intermittent whistle, seems to be around N75 area. Its a constant frequency, doesn't go up and down according to boost. But it starts as soon as boost kicks in, so around 2200RPM+ - really worrying me, its not that loud at all but unsure what it could be?

• 3 weeks later...

So far replaced

• Both wishbones
  • Both control arms
  • ARB Links

Ive attached a video of me moving the wheel back and forth. There is play and it moves an inch either way. 

When I turn either way, there is clicking coming from the left side. When I accelerate hard, it pulls hard to the left as if most power is going there. If I go over a bump, the steering jolts, and the motorway the car veers left and right. The steering also doesn't return to center most of the time, and when you are almost at full lock it almost 'falls' into place.

The tyre is also VERY worn on the outer area near the side wall, and slightly worn on the inside.

Edited by sakta