Where to find help on Skoda broken parts

feebs77

Hi

If this isn't the right place to ask this question - can someone let me know where I should post my question please.

I just bought a Skoda Fabia 2009 second hand, and I'm finding issues with the condition.

The parcel shelf in the boot doesn't stay on its left / right hinges because both pegs that slot into the shelf have snapped off - as in photos attached.

These plastic pegs were part of the inside right and left boot body which now have holes in them.

Does anyone know what my options are to get this repaired?

I'm thinking, replace the right and left plastic interior body of the boot but seems expensive.

Or find some pegs that fit into these holes - but will look naf and not sure how long it would last.

Any advice appreciated.

Boot Shelf_1.jpg

Boot Shelf_Pin_1.jpg

Boot Shelf_Pin_2.jpg

The "best" solution would be to replace panels, should not be to expensive via ebay I would think....................OR measure the diameter lower pegs (image below) as they are the same for when the shelf is fitted lower down, then maybe you could purchase a metal pipe (like heating pipe) or similar and fit it all the way across between both panels, cheap fix but would work.

388516613_BootShelf_Pin_2.thumb.jpg.264c83ce42de0f6369c0f1bfbc724e76.jpg

Edited by UrbanPanzer

9 hours ago, UrbanPanzer said:

The "best" solution would be to replace panels, should not be to expensive via ebay I would think....................OR measure the diameter lower pegs (image below) as they are the same for when the shelf is fitted lower down, then maybe you could purchase a metal pipe (like heating pipe) or similar and fit it all the way across between both panels, cheap fix but would work.

The damage wasn't disclosed when I purchased the car, and it is still under warranty, so I would look at trying to get the side panels replaced and get the car garage to pay.

Do you know what these parts are called?

The damage wasn't disclosed when I purchased the car, and it is still under warranty, so I would look at trying to get the side panels replaced and get the car garage to pay.

Do you know what these side parts are called?

Problem is, its a common-isn issue and quite minor... Wear and tear, etc so asking the seller if (A) They even knew about it or (B) Will they pay to rectify it as a fault, is unlikely to be met with much more then a wry smile and an "On your bike" attitude. It does not affect the overall performance or function of the car.  There are a couple of lower pegs in the compartment, so you could use them if you only have a very small amount of objects in the car and perhaps have a look in the under boot area, where the spare goes, to see if the plastic lugs are in there somewhere. If so, you might be able to drill a small hole through them, pop one of those cavity plug type screw-thingies (Toggles) Through and in to the hole and let the screws flanges expand, screwing them up to a reasonable tightness. Filling the gaps with additional epoxy glue or something similar, will help strengthen this job, as you finish tightening. Be sure not to obstruct the rear seatbelt mechanism, which sits behind there, somewhere. 

If you can't find the plastic bits, perhaps you could fashion something similar out of doweling wood, slightly thicker then the hole, drilled, fixed and rubbed down on the outer edge, to fit the shelves bracket diameters. A lick of black/dark grey paint will hide it to a degree where only you will see it and you will be pleased with your "Heath Robinson" fix, at an almost non existent cost!

(I got mine to do)!

The garage that sold this to me had the boot open and the tray was in position when I first viewed the car.

I now know it was so I would not open and close the boot myself.....which I should have done anyway - but just assumed (wrongly).

I have 3 month warranty - but reading through it, it says wear and tear not included.

I think it's a waste of breath complaining to the garage, but I'm wondering if there is something I can do to alert other buyers about shady salesmen.

• 1 month later...

Hi Feebs, did you replace your parts at all? I ask as mine were fractured and then, came completely off. I ended up drilling a 3mm hole through the centre of the lugs that fell off and using those toggle-screws, I think they were M5 sized but can confirm. I lipped the lugs on the screws, fitted the toggles and popped them in to the holes and screwed them up. I am planning on loosening them again soon and adding some glue such as epoxy resin or similar, to increase the strength of the repair but it does seem ok anyway. I think the trick is to glue, and not to screw too tightly so as to pull through the lugs with the screw or even pull the lugs through the holes! A little clean up and perhaps a dab of paint on the screws will finish the job as my toggles were silver. The main thing to do is to take care not to obstruct the rear seat belt mechanism but its quite a simple job really and very hard to spot, without looking for it.

I hope this helps as pulling out those panels and replacing them is quite fiddly, on top of the cost of replacements which may just "Go" again, anyway!

Hi mrgf,

Thanks for your message.

No I haven't sorted out the bits that have snapped off yet.

The problem is not the cord or attachments either end of the cord that lifts the parcel shelf. These are fine.

It's the 2  protruding plastic round peg /dowel shapes that stick out from the side of car boots plastic bodywork (left and right) which the slotted part of the parcel shelf rests on. 

These 'pegs' are a continuous part of the plastic bodywork and not separate components.

Both pegs have completely snapped off of the plastic bodywork leaving 2 holes in the sides of the carboot bodywork.

I was going to take it to the car bodyshop to see if they have any lugs that would fit into the holes - but would welcome any suggestions for replacement parts that might work.

Thanks, Feebs

Yeah, I saw the photos and its exactly the same issue I had...I called them lugs and you called them pegs... Potatoes/potAtoes, if you see what I mean.

The lower pegs are the same size, as they are designed so you can lower the shelf and put something bigger on top without obscuring the window so in theory, you could  even carefully remove those and fit hem in th upper spaces, so as to have a useful shelf. I would also suggest some form of modelling putty, such as Sugru, where you could knead it, push some into the hole, squashing it round the back of the panel and then keep building it out, to form the shape you want. A little bit of patience should get the result and you could most likely file it down a little, if it was made just a little large, to get the right size. Again, the lowers could help with this. Let the putty set, prior to trying out the shelf. I mentioned Sugu as it is a rubber type putty and comes in black, among other colours. The only issue is I think it needs a little sunlight to cure. Not heat, just light so probably a UV type of thing. This should be ok if you leave the car in a sunny place, with the shelf on the lower pegs.

I might just get a photo of the job I did up tomorrow, if I can. You will then see what I did to my car. I did still have the pegs, though so try looking in your boot, especially in the lower part, where the spare wheel or tyre inflator may have been. It will be so much easier if you found the bits. 

Oh, Also, if you are nimble, you can also jst about get to the inside of the holed area with say, a screwdriver or thin tool or even with your fingers perhaps, from th slot where the rear seatbelt comes out. This may help when it comes to doing the job as removing the panels is a PITA.