Looking at an Octavia-->Superb trade in

Evening All,

Currently have a 63 plate Octavia estate.

I love it, but having lowered it and it being the 'normal' 2wd, it's now not ideal for site work in the winter months (this is only 1% of the driving, but it's got stuck on nothing but a bit of flat mud once already!).  Been looking at various cheap winter SUV options, but can't see me enjoying driving one as my daily (wife has a 65 plate Tiguan and it's ok, but no fun).  

So, a cavernous Superb estate, same engine 2.0 TDI (150 - only a manual for me!) with the bonus of a 4wd system seems sensible.

But what are the common faults/future problems to look out for?  I was already thinking of getting the Octavia remapped, to add a little spice.  With the same engine and power in a bigger car, that's certainly on the cards - nothing silly though.

Any advice greatly received.

Ryan

Mk3 Octavia and Mk3 Superb alloys are interchangeable. Had wheels from 2017 Octavia on 2019 Superb and those are now on my wife's 2018 Karoq. Had a 2013 63 plate 150PS manual Octavia remapped from 147 to 186bhp and from 246 to 317lb/ft by AmD in Essex in 2014 and top speed went from 135mph standard to 150mph so it was faster than a Vrs TDi. Economy dropped from a best of 71mpg standard to 70mpg remapped.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Mk3 Octavia and Mk3 Superb alloys are interchangeable. Had wheels from 2017 Octavia on 2019 Superb and those are now on my wife's 2018 Karoq. Had a 2013 63 plate 150PS manual Octavia remapped from 147 to 186bhp and from 246 to 317lb/ft by AmD in Essex in 2014 and top speed went from 135mph standard to 150mph so it was faster than a Vrs TDi. Economy dropped from a best of 71mpg standard to 70mpg remapped.

Excellent - I have some decent 18's that I can get refurbed...

Those remap figures sound just what I'd be looking for.

The DSG 190TDI - is the engine different internally/turbo, or is it just a map?

The following is based on logic and not actual knowledge of a 190.

The 184 has a bigger turbo than 150 so the 190 will likely be in a similar boat. Could even be an updated version of the 184 turbo. On top of that it's likely there are differences with the fuel system so support the increase in air flow. 

There are likely to be other differences with the head and other ancillaries to support more power and decreased emissions as is the way with engine development.

Edit:

To clarify I have a 150 Octavia with a map and pedal box. It's fun but not a super car.

Edited by MarkyG82
  • Like 1