2.0 Diesel Air Intake

Creakingjoints

I'm thinking about improving the intake airflow on my Monte Carlo. Apart from separating out water in mud plugging activities, has anyone a clue as to why the 2.0 Diesels have an enormous plenum style air intake when a straight through set up would be possible. 

The little box just before the air filter is to prevent the engine sucking up floodwater and bending conrods.

I stopped before fording a flooded road and thought I would be clever and remove the top cover (which frequently comes adrift) only to find on close examination that Skoda had been "simply clever" & I did not need to remove it, - I did anyway just to be sure.

The main reason is to draw the coolest air possible, there is very little restriction and everything especially the filter is oversized, the air will be compressed and cooled before combustion so any hypothetical induction losses are more than covered by the increased charge density.

I don't think there will be any difference across the  engine range in parts like the air intake. Just surprised at the convolute antics prior to the filter.  My old Octavia 4x4 in 1.9 guise used exactly the same filter but with a more direct  airflow.  Neither system seemed to have any drainage facility for swallowed water though.

This thread takes me back to the mid nineties.

I approached a substantial body of water in Essex known locally as the Good Easter ford. 

Suffice to say I needed an old ex-army tow truck to retrieve my diesel Clio from the middle of the ford.  He wouldn't take me home though so it needed a different company to finish the  rest of the 28 mile journey.

My Mrs. and I and the tow truck driver all got wet legs up to the knee and the interior of the car got even wetter. The engine hydro-locked. I recall the bill was around £2,000

So when I read about you blokes wanting to negotiate water that's way deeper than the manufacturer ever intended I'm reminded of my own caper. 

I can assure you that my own particular lesson was comprehensively learned.

If I did want to  drive through another lake (which is  what I was stupid enough to try and do) I'd  buy something intended for the the job   .... maybe a boat for example, or at least something like a Defender, which seems better able to manage that sort of thing.  A Yeti is a couple of inches higher than a standard hatchback and they advise us not to allow water over the sills. Can't imagine why you'd risk flooding it.  Like I say, I was daft enough to do it once  (and the Mrs. told me not to do it , but I insisted) ... won't be doing that again.

Edited by oldstan
  • Sad 1

When I was driving through the flooded areas I was being very carefull of the depth, driving on the crown of the road when I could, driving very slowly etc.........................

And then a muppet in a delivery van came bowling through in the other direction pushing a massive bow wave and throwing up water from the wheels which completely obliterated my view, I switched the engine off before the wave hit and sat there wishing him a very painfull and slow death!

So even when you take the right precautions you can be caught out.

Whatever tomfoolery I get up to in a car,driving into water more than axle deep isn't one of them and I don't think there is a snorkel on the market for the Yeti.

I just wondered why my Yeti has a plenum on the intake which would hold a small child.

1 hour ago, Kenny R said:

Surely if it wasn’t deemed necessary then the bean counters would have replaced it with something simpler and cheaper.

A reasonable assumption, but as with a lot of parts, particularly towards end of life series, developing the cheaper option could cost more.

Having said that, as I mentioned previously, the Octavia used the same filter with a much more minimalist system, which would have made your point nicely. 

I'd be interested to know which sort of "sad" brijo had in mind when reacting to my post, above.

sad, as in "I'm sad for your loss and empathise with your unfortunate act of misjudgement".

sad, as in "you'e a sad old b*gger.... where's your sense of adventure?"

I think I can guess which one.