Went to see a fabia but eml light on

ktro

I went to see a private seller for his Fabia 1.4 TDI tonight as a winter runabout and everything was fine apart from one thing. The EML light stays illuminated...the seller says the front electric windows were not working right and he took the fuse out 2/3 years ago and the light came on just after. The windows don’t work at all just now. He’s since had it go through a couple MOTs since then with no mention of EML on MOT history but I suspect he’s mates’ with the tester. He seemed nice and genuine though, in his late 60s/70s, owned since nearly new and lots of service history was present. It’s a 2007 / 57 plate. 

Could this really be a reason for the EML? How could I go about solving the issue? Alternatively I’d there some vag software I could buy that would re set the EML light? I’m usually into older stuff but don’t mind buying the software if it means the Fabia would pass another Mot (due in 2 months, can’t see it failing on anything bar the EML) and we have other VAG cars in the family now (all been very reliable, touch wood) 

thanks all 

There are rules relating to 'EML on' being an MOT failure that depend on when the car was made. I'll check in a minute, but I think it's quite possible that a 2007 car is immune from the ruling.

The windows not working cannot bring on the EML.

Yep, tester doesn't  inspect the MIL light function for diesels first used before 1st July 2008 according to the test manual.

Close to the bottom of the page here: 8. Nuisance - MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - Guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

1 hour ago, ktro said:

I went to see a private seller for his Fabia 1.4 TDI tonight as a winter runabout and everything was fine apart from one thing. The EML light stays illuminated...the seller says the front electric windows were not working right and he took the fuse out 2/3 years ago and the light came on just after. The windows don’t work at all just now. He’s since had it go through a couple MOTs since then with no mention of EML on MOT history but I suspect he’s mates’ with the tester. He seemed nice and genuine though, in his late 60s/70s, owned since nearly new and lots of service history was present. It’s a 2007 / 57 plate. 

Could this really be a reason for the EML? How could I go about solving the issue? Alternatively I’d there some vag software I could buy that would re set the EML light? I’m usually into older stuff but don’t mind buying the software if it means the Fabia would pass another Mot (due in 2 months, can’t see it failing on anything bar the EML) and we have other VAG cars in the family now (all been very reliable, touch wood) 

thanks all 

The guy might be okay, but his account of why the EML is on sounds odd.

If you have a code reader, it might be worth plugging that in and seeing what codes it throws up.

Thanks guys, I was under the impression it would fail as our old 2005 A3 Diesel (scrapped and never sorted) failed on EML light being on. 

What kind of code reader - is there any cheap ones on eBay? Thank you!

1774C3D7-7BD6-4195-9D45-746F6578F536.png

A tester malfunction I think, they're only human. There's an MOT testers forum you could query that and the current scenario on. Open to Joe Public as well as trade/testers. MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry (motester.co.uk)

I'm not sure at all, but I have a feeling VCDS Lite might work on early Mk2 Fabias. Anyone tried it on a pre-facelift mk2? @Tech1e do you happen to know?  If it does, that's definitely the best value fault finding solution you can have, as it's freeware and a third-party cable to connect car to laptop will cost you <£20.

In general my experience of cheap OBDII readers have been that they will say no fault codes when VCDS shows up pages of them, they should however display a code if the MIL indicator is lit, mine has yet to show a single fault code & I suspect that its faulty.

He sounds like a genuine seller & probably believes what a mechanic told him all that time ago.

I would try a cheap reader scan or find someone with VCDS if that does not work to have piece of mind, whatever the fault was/is it does not seem to have affected the vehicle.