Boot not opening via handle

Erratic issue with the boot handle not opening the hatch (manual opening hatchback). Pressing the boot release on the key fob will activate the opening and then you can open it via the handle. Anyone had this problem? Car is being serviced tomorrow so would like to flag the issue.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/12/2020 at 18:25, Steviedakota said:

Erratic issue with the boot handle not opening the hatch (manual opening hatchback). Pressing the boot release on the key fob will activate the opening and then you can open it via the handle. Anyone had this problem? Car is being serviced tomorrow so would like to flag the issue.

I too have this same issue. Was intermittent initially with the boot handle opening, but after 4 months has now a point where the key fob is the only way to open the boot. Quoted 250 to replace today as it's faulty. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Insect_repellent:) said:

Probably a failed microswitch in the handle. Quite easy to replace, the price depends if you have a rear camera or not. Without the camera, the handle could be found cheap on ebay: Genuine Trunk Lid Open Handle Mirco Switch For Audi VW Skoda Seat 3V0827566 | eBay

I've ordered one from Skoda, non camera €150. Quite a premium over that eBay one!

• Sad 1

Just fitted the new handle using some trim removal tools, two tabs on the long sides, one on the short sides, out she pops, remove connector, plug into new handle and push it back in. 2 minute job.

Hope the turns and erratic problem into a permanent fix.

• Like 2

On 14/01/2021 at 16:57, Steviedakota said:

Just fitted the new handle using some trim removal tools, two tabs on the long sides, one on the short sides, out she pops, remove connector, plug into new handle and push it back in. 2 minute job.

Hope the turns and erratic problem into a permanent fix.

You've now all got me interested in doing this repair myself. I've found on UK ebay a non camera version. Which mine is. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Part-Number-3V0827566-Tailgate-Handle-Switch-Boot-Lid-Lock-Release-Push-Button-/392882568006?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292 

Is is easy to remove the handle. So I start from the inside or outside. Any hints or tips please. 

32 minutes ago, PMA_Bob said:

You've now all got me interested in doing this repair myself. I've found on UK ebay a non camera version. Which mine is. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Part-Number-3V0827566-Tailgate-Handle-Switch-Boot-Lid-Lock-Release-Push-Button-/392882568006?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292 

Is is easy to remove the handle. So I start from the inside or outside. Any hints or tips please. 

Very easy, but you will need a set of thin trim removal tools. It is removed from outside the car. If you look at the photo all you need to do is push the tabs inwards and the handle will release. I used three removal tools, one for each tab, pushing a the tab on the narrow side first, then the two tabs on the long side. With three tabs pressed in the handle will start to release from the bodywork. 

Don't worry about snapping the tabs on the old handle as it is going in the bin anyway.

There is enough slack on the cable now to remove the handle.

Then you need a small screwdriver to push the small plastic tab on the connector to one side and the connector will release easily.

Don't be tempted to use anything other than plastic trim removal tools. Anything metal will scratch the paint work around the handle.

That's it, really a few minutes.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Steviedakota said:

Very easy, but you will need a set of thin trim removal tools. It is removed from outside the car. If you look at the photo all you need to do is push the tabs inwards and the handle will release. I used three removal tools, one for each tab, pushing a the tab on the narrow side first, then the two tabs on the long side. With three tabs pressed in the handle will start to release from the bodywork. 

Don't worry about snapping the tabs on the old handle as it is going in the bin anyway.

There is enough slack on the cable now to remove the handle.

Then you need a small screwdriver to push the small plastic tab on the connector to one side and the connector will release easily.

Don't be tempted to use anything other than plastic trim removal tools. Anything metal will scratch the paint work around the handle.

That's it, really a few minutes.

On 15/01/2021 at 10:35, Steviedakota said:

For reference.

IMG_20210115_103402.jpg

@SteviedakotaCould you confirm if this was for the Mk3 estate, or hatchback? Maybe one switch does all? And what was the OEM Part number from the Škoda dealer? 

8 minutes ago, PMA_Bob said:

@SteviedakotaCould you confirm if this was for the Mk3 estate, or hatchback? Maybe one switch does all? And what was the OEM Part number from the Škoda dealer? 

@Steviedakota I'm guessing it is 3V0827566. But some ebay listings have that item as not compatible for my model. 

I retrofitted a RVC in my 2016 hatchback, original part number was 3v0 827 566. Didn't use any special tools, I removed the trim with my hands, without any damage, you just have to pull. Once you remove it, it looks like this:

20200901154328.jpg

Edited by Insect_repellent:)
added a photo

On 16/01/2021 at 16:14, Steviedakota said:

That is the number alright, mine is a hatch.

Great help on this forum guys. I ordered the same part 3V0827566 for my estate. 40 pounds on ebay. Fitted it today, 5 minute job. Slightly different to remove so have put in photos in case it helps others. I too used trim tools to lever out. 

IMG_20210123_104131.jpg

MVIMG_20210123_104122.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks to everone helping with this issue. I also had this problem. On removing the outside handle I found that the micro switch was not seated all the way into the black pastic handle, resulting in the micro switch being "on" all the time. I deduced that the car's computer compensated by dis-allowing the signal from the micro switch, leaving the boot permanently closed (apart from the FOB over-ride). Anyway, seating the microswitch fully home (can hear a soft click as clip engages) with a small screwdriver provided the required gap between switch and exterior handle, restoring normal operation.   In my experience, it is unusual for micro switches to fail. Total cost of permanent repair = 0. The original fault may have been due to imperfect original factory assembly. Hope this helps. Regards, rwj.

If anyone wants any non camera boot handles - I sell them for £25 posted in the UK. Genuine used part, all fully working. 

Its a huge chunk cheaper than new and still cheaper than ebay!

• 2 years later...
49 minutes ago, Steviedakota said:

Mine just failed yesterday, you can buy them on Amazon for cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B1845DN9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Mine still makes the whine noise just doesn’t pop open, hopefully it will fix the issue still though.

Any idea how to open it once it has failed ?