Potential engine failure, advice sought....

Oggy1234

Morning All,

After a bit of advice, please.

My 2005 VRS suffered a sudden loss of power whilst accelerating hard in 4th, with the engine cutting out, yesterday. Managed to get clear into a lay by but needed recovery home.

Visible minor oil loss from the filler cap and a small pool on the floor from the OS rear of the engine. 

Engine turns over on key but chuffs fume out of the filler cap and back through the air intake pipe😐.

Fearing piston rings, but would welcome more qualified opinions and any recommendations for providers of recon engines.

The car will be going in to my garage in the new year to be taken apart but wanted to have a bit of a heads up.

Thanks in advance...

When you say OS do you mean RH or LH as sat in drivers seat? (Normally OS is the drivers side). Sounds like it could be turbo related, maybe that has imploded or a boost pipe has come off. Rings would usually show as burning oil (Blue exhaust smoke on acceleration/over run), so high oil consumption usually for months prior to the actual failure, It may even just be a clogged breather system as that can cause them to breathe heavily through the filler cap.

OS as in driver's side and thanks for the info.

Hopefully it is just turbo/breather related as I have a new turbo waiting to go on... and there were no previous signs of issues or smoke, was running fine until then.

When I get it checked out I'll let you know how I got on... Have a great Christmas