Carpet removal

Ketchka

Not too tedious, maybe a half hour job? The rear seat bench just pulls out, remove the 2 front seats unplugging the wires underneath, remove the handbrake console (single torx screw to the rear cup holder, then slide toward the front and out), then remove the front central console where the gear knob sits (pull the gear knob gaiter up, undo the four torx screws, remove the trim under the radio, pulls down toward the floor and away, can be stubborn and be careful not to damage the clips, (after I removed mine it unfortunately hasn't gone back into place properly since), remove the 2 torx screws at the top of the console, there is then 2 torx screws down by the air vents for the footwell, you then just need to unplug the 12v socket and TPMS plug if you have it, the whole thing should then slide out. The carpet should now be free to pull out along with the padding underneath. Hopefully that's all it is as it was a while ago I pulled mine out 😅

• 1 month later...

Thanks, David for the information - was the underfelt in one piece? As the driver and rear footwell were the only areas to get wet was thinking of just removing / lifting that side to get at the underfelt and how is the carpet fitted to the door sill area?

Thanks again that was a great help.

23 hours ago, Ketchka said:

Thanks, David for the information - was the underfelt in one piece? As the driver and rear footwell were the only areas to get wet was thinking of just removing / lifting that side to get at the underfelt and how is the carpet fitted to the door sill area?

Thanks again that was a great help.

It's all one piece I'm afraid, it's fitted to the sill area by the trims that lay along the side of the door, these are just clipped in place, but just be careful when removing as they can bend easily

On 20/02/2021 at 09:32, Hyphons said:

It's all one piece I'm afraid, it's fitted to the sill area by the trims that lay along the side of the door, these are just clipped in place, but just be careful when removing as they can bend easily

Thanks again.

I'd buy a few of all of the various plastic clips in advance, if I had the part numbers, since I always break a few. Someone here may be able to say what the P/N's are, or maybe ask on the VW Up! owner's forum - it's maybe 50-100x bigger than this one.

And really, a plastic clip removal tool is cheap and well worth it...