Timing chain or cambelt?

15 hours ago, J.R. said:

My response was to the OP and the topic title.

I cannot help you regarding Germany.

I tried to look and find out if it was a belt or chain and if you've read the whole thread you know that I couldn't even find the engine code sticker on the car. If you don't have anything good to say
I've owned 5 Skodas since mid 90's and this last one is the only car that doesn't write out service intervals. Now I know and have printed those from erwin Skoda but I think it's a shame that I have to do that to know what my car needs.

I have plenty good to say thanks and will continue, if you looked in the usual places for the engine code sticker you would have seen either a cam belt cover or a timing chain case, without even getting that close a cursory look at the cam cover would have revealed whether it was a belt or chain drive.

The bonnet would have needed to be opened and the engine cover lifted off, there may even be a photo in the owners handbook showing the engine with the cover removed.

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

if you looked in the usual places for the engine code sticker you would have seen either a cam belt cover or a timing chain case, without even getting that close a cursory look at the cam cover would have revealed whether it was a belt or chain drive.

I like think I know a bit about cars, have owned numerous of various marques over 30 years, been on many motoring forums, and this is the first time I've ever heard you can tell belt of chain just be looking at the engine bay, or have heard advice you that effect. Not saying you are wrong, just saying this is the first time I've heard this.

Edited by Steviedakota
  • Like 1