Heated Drivers seat mat burnt out

I was just reflecting on the difference between glowplugs & a heated seat or windscreen.

If a car was bought in late spring/early summer it is entirely plausible that failed glowplugs would not manifest before the cold winter starts and as the modern ones gradually rise in resistance rather than going open circuit it is actually reasonable to assume that the fault existed when the car was bought, however I agree that the garage was being reasonable and if taken to court the decision may have gone the other way if for instance a fault code was generated with the mileage being 5 months after the sale or that the seller retained a clear no fault scan for their protection.

It is possible that someone may not use the heated seat (quite likely) or the heated screen (less likely) before winter but I assume that the handover document they signed said that they had tested, inspected and accepted the vehicle.

Its good that some dealers will make a commercial decision for goodwill but in the case of the OP that I am guessing has stated that his heated seat has stopped working some 3 months later and the dealership not giving out goodwill at present I really do doubt that a court would make a judgement against them for an accessory.

I would be very surprised that any legal text uses words like "the expectation is that it will last 6 months from the date of purchase."

The car clearly remains fit for purpose. Glowplugs not working renders it arguably unfit for sub zero winter use.

1 hour ago, Ecomatt said:

They were but what cannot be proven is that they may have been failing/faulting at the time of purchase. The CRA 2015 was made to give more power to the buyer rather than business. With the old act it was in favour of business as the buyer had to prove the fault. Basically now anything you buy should be fit for purpose and the expectation is that it will last 6 months from the date of purchase.

Thanks for the info

Just so people are aware any approved used vehicles have to have a full diagnostic log sent online during the check and any existing faults rectified. Once rectified and the fault memory cleared down a minimum 2 mile road test and further diagnostic log has to be sent. Any issues present at the time of the second log or failure to send a log in the first place means the supplying dealer could be liable for the repair costs. 

Thanks again for all the extra advice, at least most of it. 

I have today received a reply from Skoda who have changed tack somewhat and not surprisingly have rejected the appeal against their decision. They have though rejected the appeal on different grounds excluding it on the basis that a heated seat consists of a number of twisted wires which on Page 7 of the approved warranty booklet excludes faulty wiring. In light of this I have asked them whether an alternator, as it also consists of coils of wire around the armature is also excluded.

I shall not let this drop however and will if necessary take it to the Small Claims Court but prior to that as has been mentioned I shall quote the CRA 2015 regulations to them and in a kind and benevolent way offer them the opportunity to put it right. I won’t hold my breath.

It is such a shame that the car ownership which I generally have enjoyed is let down by the hassle of having to go through this process.

• Like 2