Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 190 4x4 Engine Remap - 0-60 MPH in 5.25 seconds. Owner Review

This review was posted in the Karoq section of Briskoda initially, but thought those who frequent the Performance and Tuning Section might also be interested.

Recently had my Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 190 TSI 4x4 tuned and wanted to share my experience. The ECU tune was provided by TVS Engineering who are based in the Netherlands. They have dealers/workshops throughout the UK (and the world) that can install the tune. I chose their Stage 2 ECU remap - this is their maximum performance tune available for a stock engine. They claim up to 280hp and 450Nm, compared to the stock 190hp and 320Nm. The engine installed in this car is an EA888 Gen 3B with a Bosch ECU.

The tuning shop I took the car to needed it overnight to unlock the ECU, flash the base Stage 2 tune onto the ECU, and then do some performance runs and logging. They then send these logs/data to TVS in the Netherlands for assessment where the necessary tweaks are made to fine tune the file. This back and forth can occur several times until both TVS and the tuning shop are happy with the results, and the final tune is flashed to the car. So they effectively take a ‘base’ tuning file and fine tune it to your individual car. They can also do a custom tune – ie -  you can specify the increase in power and torque (within limits of course).

My car is stock except for the ECU tune - no hardware mods. I’ll probably add an aftermarket cold air intake in the future for some increased induction and turbo spool sound.

The attached performance figures were recorded using a Dragy GPS Performance Meter. Using launch control the car ran consistent 0-60 MPH (0-96 KM/H) times of 5.2 to 5.3 seconds over several runs. From a standing start (no launch control) the car ran 6.1 to 6.3 seconds. Temperature was 18 degrees Celsius with high humidity at time of testing, on a dry track. This is in comparison to a stock 0-60 MPH time of 6.9 seconds using launch control.

1/4 mile time was recorded as 13.8 seconds.

The Sport Information readout in the car’s infotainment screen now indicates maximum power of 248hp, but unsure of how accurate this is. However using an OBDEleven scanning tool ‘Nominal Torque’ is now rated at 470Nm, with a live data readout showing a peak of 480Nm.

The car wasn’t put on a dyno, but rather data logging was completed on closed circuit roads. There was the option to dyno the car, however the tuning shop didn’t deem it necessary unless I wanted a readout of hp and torque gains. I was mildly curious to see what the car would pull on the dyno, but already had a good idea what the final figures would be based on previous tunes TVS had published on their Facebook page with customer's cars.

Obviously the car feels significantly quicker than stock. It seems to accelerate just a quickly in third/forth gear as it does in first/second gear, leaving me wondering if torque/power is being limited in first/second gear. Third/forth gear acceleration seems especially rapid. The engine feels stronger in both Normal and Sport driving modes, with Sport mode feeling particularly more lively. There is still a small amount of low rpm lag until approx. 1800rpm, but this is followed by a rapid and smooth power delivery all the way to redline. The car is deceptively quick at times because of the linear way in which power is delivered.

The car was also remapped with the TVS Stage 2+ DSG (TCU) tune to handle the extra torque and power that the engine now makes. It has improved gear shift times, stops the transmission upshifting too soon, and provides a smoother low speed driving experience compared to the jerky and frustrating stock DSG tune.   

Overall I’m happy with the gains and how the car is performing so far.

Happy to answer questions.

0-60 MPH:

133704246_220936999542642_652194482940231135_n.thumb.jpg.89883fc5adcb30ca4ce5a09432b49ea9.jpg

0-100 km/h:

133660756_3438402662880317_2505102172958926879_n.thumb.jpg.45aa7dfd68cbd84670be2514434b4b58.jpg

1/4 Mile:

133494155_401740731159795_8550462058411219097_n.thumb.jpg.19da461faf5bed1d794ab1dd99e0f7a0.jpg

Edited by skodamota
  • Like 3
  • Love it! 1

• skodamota changed the title to Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 190 4x4 Engine Remap - 0-60 MPH in 5.25 seconds. Owner Review
  • 3 months later...
On 26/01/2021 at 06:39, skodamota said:

This review was posted in the Karoq section of Briskoda initially, but thought those who frequent the Performance and Tuning Section might also be interested.

Recently had my Karoq Sportline 2.0TSI 190 TSI 4x4 tuned and wanted to share my experience. The ECU tune was provided by TVS Engineering who are based in the Netherlands. They have dealers/workshops throughout the UK (and the world) that can install the tune. I chose their Stage 2 ECU remap - this is their maximum performance tune available for a stock engine. They claim up to 280hp and 450Nm, compared to the stock 190hp and 320Nm. The engine installed in this car is an EA888 Gen 3B with a Bosch ECU.

The tuning shop I took the car to needed it overnight to unlock the ECU, flash the base Stage 2 tune onto the ECU, and then do some performance runs and logging. They then send these logs/data to TVS in the Netherlands for assessment where the necessary tweaks are made to fine tune the file. This back and forth can occur several times until both TVS and the tuning shop are happy with the results, and the final tune is flashed to the car. So they effectively take a ‘base’ tuning file and fine tune it to your individual car. They can also do a custom tune – ie -  you can specify the increase in power and torque (within limits of course).

My car is stock except for the ECU tune - no hardware mods. I’ll probably add an aftermarket cold air intake in the future for some increased induction and turbo spool sound.

The attached performance figures were recorded using a Dragy GPS Performance Meter. Using launch control the car ran consistent 0-60 MPH (0-96 KM/H) times of 5.2 to 5.3 seconds over several runs. From a standing start (no launch control) the car ran 6.1 to 6.3 seconds. Temperature was 18 degrees Celsius with high humidity at time of testing, on a dry track. This is in comparison to a stock 0-60 MPH time of 6.9 seconds using launch control.

1/4 mile time was recorded as 13.8 seconds.

The Sport Information readout in the car’s infotainment screen now indicates maximum power of 248hp, but unsure of how accurate this is. However using an OBDEleven scanning tool ‘Nominal Torque’ is now rated at 470Nm, with a live data readout showing a peak of 480Nm.

The car wasn’t put on a dyno, but rather data logging was completed on closed circuit roads. There was the option to dyno the car, however the tuning shop didn’t deem it necessary unless I wanted a readout of hp and torque gains. I was mildly curious to see what the car would pull on the dyno, but already had a good idea what the final figures would be based on previous tunes TVS had published on their Facebook page with customer's cars.

Obviously the car feels significantly quicker than stock. It seems to accelerate just a quickly in third/forth gear as it does in first/second gear, leaving me wondering if torque/power is being limited in first/second gear. Third/forth gear acceleration seems especially rapid. The engine feels stronger in both Normal and Sport driving modes, with Sport mode feeling particularly more lively. There is still a small amount of low rpm lag until approx. 1800rpm, but this is followed by a rapid and smooth power delivery all the way to redline. The car is deceptively quick at times because of the linear way in which power is delivered.

The car was also remapped with the TVS Stage 2+ DSG (TCU) tune to handle the extra torque and power that the engine now makes. It has improved gear shift times, stops the transmission upshifting too soon, and provides a smoother low speed driving experience compared to the jerky and frustrating stock DSG tune.   

Overall I’m happy with the gains and how the car is performing so far.

Happy to answer questions.

0-60 MPH:

133704246_220936999542642_652194482940231135_n.thumb.jpg.89883fc5adcb30ca4ce5a09432b49ea9.jpg

0-100 km/h:

133660756_3438402662880317_2505102172958926879_n.thumb.jpg.45aa7dfd68cbd84670be2514434b4b58.jpg

1/4 Mile:

133494155_401740731159795_8550462058411219097_n.thumb.jpg.19da461faf5bed1d794ab1dd99e0f7a0.jpg

What engine code is your car ? Here in india we only get the 2.0 tsi dkza engine. Is that capable of similar power levels ? 

11 hours ago, Ayush said:

What engine code is your car ? Here in india we get just the dkza 2.0 tsi. Is that capable of similar power levels ? 

Engine code on my car is DKZA

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, EnterName said:

Sounds very impressive! I had a look on the website, but the DKZA in the Octavia 3 isn't listed.

What's the breakdown of costs for this work, @skodamota?

I'd recommend contacting TVS Engineering directly to see if they'll be able to tune your Octavia. I assume they'll be able to, being the same engine code. They have typically been very responsive in answering any questions I've asked. Your car is significantly lighter than mine, so your 'seat of the pants' and rolling acceleration gains should be even greater than what I experience. The ECU tune and DSG tune were completed as a package, and in terms of cost (after currency conversion) was approx. 1100 pounds

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Do you know what code the dsg box is? Unsure if the standard was DQ381 or DQ500.

How has the vehicle reliability held up since the remaps?

9 hours ago, Elson said:

Do you know what code the dsg box is? Unsure if the standard was DQ381 or DQ500.

How has the vehicle reliability held up since the remaps?

On my Octavia it's the DQ381. Not sure about @skodamota

I've since had mine remapped by Angel Tuning (https://www.angeltuning.co.uk/) who I've used before with a TDCI and both maps I had from them were fairly conservative, with the goal being a bit more power without sacrificing economy. I've got a thread about my search for a remap. (It actually turned into going back to a fairly local supplier I was already familiar with and confident about. That said, there are some useful links in the thread.)

Edited by EnterName
Weird hyperlink runaway sorted out
  • Love it! 1

2 hours ago, EnterName said:

On my Octavia it's the DQ381. Not sure about @skodamota

I've since had mine remapped by Angel Tuning (https://www.angeltuning.co.uk/) who I've used before with a TDCI and both maps I had from them were fairly conservative, with the goal being a bit more power without sacrificing economy. I've got a thread about my search for a remap. (It actually turned into going back to a fairly local supplier I was already familiar with and confident about. That said, there are some useful links in the thread.)

Thanks for this, very much appreciated. I read your thread with keen interest! I hadn't come across Angel before, but will consider them for when the time comes! Currently the top two are AKS and Peron, but Angel look really competitively priced with a great service!

• Like 1

On 22/07/2022 at 10:21, Elson said:

Thanks for this, very much appreciated. I read your thread with keen interest! I hadn't come across Angel before, but will consider them for when the time comes! Currently the top two are AKS and Peron, but Angel look really competitively priced with a great service!

For you, I'd say Angel were a bit of a jaunt, however good they are. AFAIK there are some good tuners up north, though I can't point to any specific one to recommend, as I have no experience of them.

But if you did go to Angel, I'm pretty sure they'd sort you out with a map to suit your needs, it'd just be a pain if you needed to go back and get it tweaked. (I've had two maps off them and both were perfect for me first time.)

Initially I had a bit of a shopping list of what I wanted, but when I spoke with Tom, it's clear that if I told him what I want the power graph to look like, I'd probably get an inferior map than I would by telling him what I wanted the car to feel like after the map, and letting him use his skill to give me what I wanted, rather than what I specifically asked for.

Do update us on what you decide to do eventually, even if it's "Nah! I'll keep it standard.". 👍

Edited by EnterName