Auxiliary belt tensioner repeated breakages.

capriman

Hi guys,

I’ve a 2003 SDI comfort estate with air conditioning and the auxiliary belt tensioner snapped the other day. I’ve replaced it and less than a couple of hundred miles, the new one has snapped too. I’ve checked the air on pulley and alternator pulley and both are spinning freely.

Sounds like a very momentary squeal from the belt before a bang and the tensioner rattles off under the car.

I had an issue with this type of tensioner before and it was periodically breaking the securing bolt but this was traced to the overrun pulley on the altenator not working and the vibration over time was breaking the bolts but this looks different and seems to involve force and quite quickly.

any clues?

D80BE8FA-F2D3-489A-BB46-D8EAA8BF2B58.jpeg

On 14/02/2021 at 22:29, capriman said:

Sounds like a very momentary squeal from the belt before a bang and the tensioner rattles off under the car.

Sounds like something is suddenly jamming up. A/C compressor related maybe? I guess it can only be that or the alternator really.

Seems to be the only two things it drives?....

t6uyt89.png

Edited by TMB

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply. I came to a similar conclusion so bought a recon alternator with a new clutched pulley, new belt and tensioner. Touch wood it seems ok although I still think there’s too much constant oscillating of the tensioner. There’s also an awful rattle from ‘somewhere down there’ that starts when it’s not been running for a couple of hours a second or two after the engine starts and then vanishes about 6 or 7 seconds later. Engine generally runs well with no other concerning noises so I’m wondering if the air on pump might be at fault too.

baffling to be fair.

• 11 months later...